(Archived) better management of tags and notes

I am a big fan of Evernote since the first time I met this app and now I have hundreds of notes. Nowdays I find it's trickier to figure out the notes previously from such a big data tank. I suggest to use another management of tags and notes, just like libraries or folder management under windows.

For instance, I have tag "A" for a bunch of notes, but actually I have some sub-categories like "A1" "A2" "A3", etc. However, only tag "A" could be reached. Maybe some guys would say you could just search "A1" for these notes. While for one thing it's a bit tricky to remember all categories under "A", for another what happens if there are two orders or even more sub-categories?

If the tags are like the libraries or folder under pc, they could be much more efficient and better managed.

• Level 5*

I don't know what you mean by "only tag "A" could be reached". You are allowed to make the tags that you want, and nest them how you want them nested. One thing to note is that searching using tag does not take account any hierarchy; if tag "B" is nested under tag "A", then searching for tag "A" does not return any notes tagged with "B" (unless they are also tagged with "A"), or vice-versa. You can, however use wildcards with tags, for example, a search for tag "A*" will also find notes tagged with "A1", "A2", "Abracadabra", "Alka-Selter" and so on.

One thing to note is that searching using tag does not take account any hierarchy; if tag "B" is nested under tag "A", then searching for tag "A" does not return any notes tagged with "B" (unless they are also tagged with "A"), or vice-versa.

If you're on Windows or a Mac running Fusion/Parallels/etc. BitQwik can automatically search nested tags in a search:

http://bitqwik.com/

For example:

"Show me notes tagged with ParentCat+"

"Notes tagged with ParentCat+ but not ChildCat1+"

etc.

The first search would automatically include all notes tagged with ParentCat and any Tag in the Tag tree ParentCat is the parent of. The second search would filter out any notes tagged with ChildCat1+ and any tags nested under ChildCat1+ from the first search.

Disclaimer: I am the author of BitQwik.

-- roschler

I don't know what you mean by "only tag "A" could be reached". You are allowed to make the tags that you want, and nest them how you want them nested. One thing to note is that searching using tag does not take account any hierarchy; if tag "B" is nested under tag "A", then searching for tag "A" does not return any notes tagged with "B" (unless they are also tagged with "A"), or vice-versa. You can, however use wildcards with tags, for example, a search for tag "A*" will also find notes tagged with "A1", "A2", "Abracadabra", "Alka-Selter" and so on.

Thanks for your reply bro!

My point is a question based on logical analysis. For example, assume tag"A" as "Real estate investment", then possible sub-categories might be "Real estate data", "Real estate theories", etc. The point is, we cannot remember how many sub-categories. I want to know how many topics under "real estate investment", and it's better if we could display the different logical priority among these tags.

Something like the folder under PC, while replacing folders with tags.

• Level 5*
My point is a question based on logical analysis. For example, assume tag"A" as "Real estate investment", then possible sub-categories might be "Real estate data", "Real estate theories", etc. The point is, we cannot remember how many sub-categories. I want to know how many topics under "real estate investment", and it's better if we could display the different logical priority among these tags.

In my opinion, it's much better to have general tags:

"Real Estate" (some people would prefer "Real-Estate" or "RealEstate")

"Data"

"Theory"

"Investment"

That way, you can re-use the general tags "Data", "Theory", "Investment", etc. in other contexts (e.g. "Financial": use tags "Financial" "Theory", or "Securities": "Securities" "Investment" "Theory", etc.).

Then again, I don't get hung up on number of notes in a particular topic. If it's too many, I can always add more search terms to narrow things down.

Something like the folder under PC, while replacing folders with tags.

Yes, you can do that, if you really want. You face the same problems with that: you don't know how many files there are in a particular sub-category until you go and look. When browsing with Windows Explorer, say, you only get the number of files in the current folder you are looking at.

In my opinion, it's much better to have general tags:

"Real Estate" (some people would prefer "Real-Estate" or "RealEstate")

"Data"

"Theory"

"Investment"

That way, you can re-use the general tags "Data", "Theory", "Investment", etc. in other contexts (e.g. "Financial": use tags "Financial" "Theory", or "Securities": "Securities" "Investment" "Theory", etc.).

Thank you bro, that's a really good idea. :)

Archived