• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
thomasrive

ios Evernote Sync Error

Just to add a little data, on the hope that someone at Evernote cares about this issue, I am using Evernote 4 (don't like v5) so this is more likely a server-side problem than a client problem. Also, I travel by car, and it happened all the way across the country and was not localized to any particular region.

Turning Airplane mode on and off did not help me. The problem is intermittent. It's possible during a re-send attempt it happened to work. It's like my car doesn't start, except sometimes it does if I try several times. I could turn my bedroom light on and off and try starting my car again. It's possible it got started after that. It's not a workaround, let alone a solution. Adding text will also work. The problem is with adding Photos.

To Evernote developers, have you lost your drive to be good engineers? This is a fun and challenging problem. You will be helping both your customers and your company.

If the problem is not reproduceable on your end, please contact me. You have my service ticket number 16051-185216. It's reproduceable 9 out of 10 times. Ask me for logs or whatever you need to diagnose the problem (except delete and re-install the app which I have done 5 times and did not help. Let's not repeat the same thing and hope the problem will go away.)

If the problem is reproduceable on your end, then what are you waiting for? Syncing photo and audio on iPhone should be your core business. Or is it not?

To Evernote product management, I understand you are trying to promote Evernote Business. Do you think a CEO or CIO would not research your product before signing up? I bet they'll see this thread. What impression will they have?

I don't get it.

Honestly I just want people to read this again...

I have the same problem. iPhone 5 with EN premium. No photo syncing. Stuck in camera roll on iPhone. :( :(

Are you working on this? It appears that it's been not syncing for a long while.

Please post.

Thanks for your posts. As a possible workaround can you please toggle Airplane mode on then off and resync. This should allow you to sync again. We have been getting reports that customers are unable to sync after adding an image or audio file, and this workaround should resolve this.

Phil. It seems this problem is not understood at EN. Its not helpe by conflicting reports in this thread. Here is a specific scenario that I encounter since the new ios version.

1. take photo using snapshot.

2. sync fails with the 'unable to make http request error"

3. I change the title of the note to anything other than 'untitled snapshot ...'

4. sync works.

It seems obvious to me that diagnosis should begin with this simple scenario, and the issue with the post title.

I wish EN would take this seriously. A serious issue like this for a month is ridiculous. This is more important than EN Business.

--

Premium user since 2008.

I just tweeted to Phil. Maybe we can get his attention. Either retweet me, or send your own.

@plibin - Phil, are you aware of the ios sync issue-notes w/mages in V6. Its killing us. Poor EN support response. #evernote Prem member

— Colin Henderson (@colinrhenderson)

December 18, 2012

__

Member 2008, Premium

5.1.1 released today fixes this sync bug. The snapshot feature, and loading an existing photo both work now and sync back.

Thank you EN and a frustrating few weeks is over now.

Don't count your chickens. They added a new setting to "Choose" your image side for uploading. There is an "actual" setting that is the true size of your image. Sync still does not work for that setting. What you have to do is choose "large" or a small setting to get sync to work.

The fix is a cheap parlor trick that doesn't truly fix the sync issue, it just creates a workaround that saves them the hassle of fixing it once and for all and doesn't allow you/us to sync "actual" sized photos in notes.

Don't count your chickens. They added a new setting to "Choose" your image side for uploading. There is an "actual" setting that is the true size of your image. Sync still does not work for that setting. What you have to do is choose "large" or a small setting to get sync to work.

The fix is a cheap parlor trick that doesn't truly fix the sync issue, it just creates a workaround that saves them the hassle of fixing it once and for all and doesn't allow you/us to sync "actual" sized photos in notes.

Good. That is what I was hoping they would do. I do not want 2MB photos loading up my Evernote account and requiring a Premium membership just to upload and store notes with photos.

Good. That is what I was hoping they would do. I do not want 2MB photos loading up my Evernote account and requiring a Premium membership just to upload and store notes with photos.

Fair enough. Horses for courses. I have a premium account and store photos of handwritten meeting notes. Cheers

i have created a couple of notes with multiple pictures whit the actual setting turned on and all notes sync without problems. So I am glad this seems to be fixed for me niw.

(I agree that it is a bit of a cheap trick to reduce traffic this way.ll)

Thanks Judd6149. You are correct - I only tested the lower resolutions but I confirm that sync still fails for actual size. This is a cheap workaround. Very disappointing. I also note that the 5.1.1 release notes only says 'bug fixes'. No specifics. This feels like a cover-up and no responsibility being taken. Not even full admission of the problem. This is the first ***** in the EN armour I have really seen.

Thanks Judd6149. You are correct - I only tested the lower resolutions but I confirm that sync still fails for actual size. This is a cheap workaround. Very disappointing. I also note that the 5.1.1 release notes only says 'bug fixes'. No specifics. This feels like a cover-up and no responsibility being taken. Not even full admission of the problem. This is the first ***** in the EN armour I have really seen.

Totally agree. I think they just believe that about 80% of their users will upload smaller image notes now and that this will fix their problem.

i would also like to see a more detailed release notes overview for this last version!

• Like 2

Colin, I agree on the "bug fixes" comment on the update: first thing I thought of was cover-up; ducking the issue; not taking ownership. I am really surprised at this from Evernote. Syncing images ... of any size ... is a key feature of EN. That is why it is one of three buttons they promote to take notes with.

EN, are you actually listening? Are you acting like a company that has been around for 100 years (old and unresponsive) or are you trying to create a company that people will continue to trust and rely for100 years to come?

Just fix this problem once and for all ... and then address the already outdated redesign of the iOS app.

Fair enough. Horses for courses. I have a premium account and store photos of handwritten meeting notes. Cheers

Mine still isn't working. Help!!

What am I doing wrong? The EN update today STILL WILL NOT SYNC photos from iphone.

I changed settings to small, medium, large -- nothing works.

Any suggestions??

Evernote Food iOS just got an update today. Great. Keep shipping the new stuff when you can't get your bread and butter (premium users, too) product to do what it is supposed to: sync. I looked in the settings for Food ... guess what? There is an image size option for uploading pictures (the whole point of using food). There is no "actual" option for image sizing. No wonder ... that is what they can't fix in EN iOS.

Just fix sync completely in your core product. If you only had a competitor breathing down your necks.

Same for me. Still not syncing despite the new version today.

I worked once with a note that only contained an image size "Large".

Then I tried with actual size : failed.

Then with mutliple images size "Large" : failed.

But most incredible : now it fails even with a note that only contains an image size "Large" (which worled only once just after I downloaded the newer version !)

Please evernote fix this ASAP.

This morning I notice that EN will not sync a text only note (no photos) I dictated in the car yesterday AFTER the update. HELP!!

I am a premium member and it appears that EN is rendered useless for me use at this point.

This is a clear sign of a failing internet company.

Instead of complaining, let's research alternatives and post them here. If there is a competing product that can take photos and do OCR searching, I'll move instantaneously and pay for a different service. Google Drive? OfficeDrop? SugarSync?

My Nevernote premium account will expire mid January. Bye.

This is a clear sign of a failing internet company.

Instead of complaining, let's research alternatives and post them here. If there is a competing product that can take photos and do OCR searching, I'll move instantaneously and pay for a different service. Google Drive? OfficeDrop? SugarSync?

My Nevernote premium account will expire mid January. Bye.

It's a fine line between complaining and voicing frustration. I don't want to leave, rather I would like it fixed. That being said ... there isn't a straight up competitor that could offer the unique servies/features. if there was ...

Actually one that looked good was Catch. Not as fully featured ... https://catch.com/

An update on this is that we have a bug in our load balancer, our load balancer software vendor is aware of this and is making available a patch that will fix the HTTP Request Timeout issues that you are running in to when submitting images/files to your client. I will update this post once we have a confirmed fix with the new software. So sorry for the inconvenience but we have identified the issue and are addressing it as quickly as we can.

• Like 2

An update on this is that we have a bug in our load balancer, our load balancer software vendor is aware of this and is making available a patch that will fix the HTTP Request Timeout issues that you are running in to when submitting images/files to your client. I will update this post once we have a confirmed fix with the new software. So sorry for the inconvenience but we have identified the issue and are addressing it as quickly as we can.

Thanks for the update. A little communication (with substance) goes a long way.

• Like 1

Official communication at last!! Thanks for the update. I must admit disappointment that it required 97 postings that started well over a month ago (10th Nov was the original post), multiple people raising the issue with customer support and still more people tweeting. Good to know the problem has been identified though.