Evernote Sync Error

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An update on this is that we have a bug in our load balancer, our load balancer software vendor is aware of this and is making available a patch that will fix the HTTP Request Timeout issues that you are running in to when submitting images/files to your client. I will update this post once we have a confirmed fix with the new software. So sorry for the inconvenience but we have identified the issue and are addressing it as quickly as we can.

Inconvenience? You only get to use that word after 5 posts on the topic, not after 90+. Try untimeliness in responding. And hire an intern whose sole purpose is to monitor the forums if you're not capable of doing it yourselves.

This is primarily a user forum that Evernote employees do read and contribute to.

I always suggest opening a support case if you have a real, tough issue.

LOL there are many occasions when it has been stated that every post is read by an employee and in many cases more than one. From what I recall reading the posts above the issue has been reported to support.

They are, but you can't necessarily expect action to arise from it - they'll do their best but open a support ticket and it hits someone's stack and becomes someones's responsibility.

You are quite right Metrodon. :)

BUT it appears 2-3 people in this thread have communicated directly with support on the matter. Clearly it has been made someone's responsibility but they need to link these support tickets to relevant forum threads.

• Level 5*

Without becoming a technobore, if they have traced the problem back to to their 3rd party load balancing software then I'm guessing that this has been pretty difficult to debug. So it takes time, note also that this app is supported during pacific office hours, there isn't an army of techs working 24 hours a day to resolve problems.

To add additional information to this, the Devs, Ops and CS worked together on this, we first went line by line in the IOS code, tried to reproduce internally on multiple devices and could not isolate where this was occurring, we then looked at software updates across our platform and then worked on looking at the software updates from third parties and this is where we came across the load balancer issue. We even wrote a java app that simulated submitting images that did not hit the IOS client to fully understand where the issue was and we could reproduce the bug which ruled out the IOS client, long story short we have identified the issue and are working to implement a fix on our production service after we have tested the software fix from the third party software company on our staging environment.

I'm a newspaper columnist at the Philadelphia Inquirer. I've used Evernote since the company issued iPhone3s in early 2011. I bought an iPad keyboard and Bluetoothed live interviews into Evernote to recover later on my PC for quick viewing, posting, publishing. Much easier to carry around a slim keyboard sted of a laptop. Worked great... until last week c 12/19: I ran regular updates and suddenly my new interviews sit on my iPhone and won't sync to Evernote site. No fail or error messages or instructions; it's just stopped working. Can't email the Evernote notes from iPhone to my Outlook or Gmail either: note never arrives, no record it was sent; again no error message, no fail. Wha' happened? What to do? Suggestions welcome!

I'm a newspaper columnist at the Philadelphia Inquirer. I've used Evernote since the company issued iPhone3s in early 2011. I bought an iPad keyboard and Bluetoothed live interviews into Evernote to recover later on my PC for quick viewing, posting, publishing. Much easier to carry around a slim keyboard sted of a laptop. Worked great... until last week c 12/19: I ran regular updates and suddenly my new interviews sit on my iPhone and won't sync to Evernote site. No fail or error messages or instructions; it's just stopped working. Can't email the Evernote notes from iPhone to my Outlook or Gmail either: note never arrives, no record it was sent; again no error message, no fail. Wha' happened? What to do? Suggestions welcome!

Joe, this thread has been going for a while. EN have narrowed down to a bug in their load balancer, ie a network issue and involving a third party, not an EN issue. So I am going to hang in there while they resolve. As a work around, I have been loading large notes into google drive and setting EN desktop to automatically import that folder on my laptop. Hardly elegant but works for now. The issue is only an issue with large attachments in notes asfaik.

• 2 weeks later...

We implemented the fix to the load balancer on December 26th. (That would likely be why there was a lull in posts in this thread.) Additionally, we released a new version of our iOS client that, in conjunction with this fix, has alleviated the majority of the syncing issues that were raised by people in this thread.

Anyone still having issues with syncing, please contact support via the link in my signature.

If you already have a case open, please ensure that you provide all the logs requested by the support team, as it is with these logs that we are able to isolate the cause of the issues and implement fixes.

If you had a case open that has since been closed, but are experiencing the same issue, reference your previous case number when filing so they can more quickly link your prior ticket.

We implemented the fix to the load balancer on December 26th. (That would likely be why there was a lull in posts in this thread.) Additionally, we released a new version of our iOS client that, in conjunction with this fix, has alleviated the majority of the syncing issues that were raised by people in this thread.

Anyone still having issues with syncing, please contact support via the link in my signature.

If you already have a case open, please ensure that you provide all the logs requested by the support team, as it is with these logs that we are able to isolate the cause of the issues and implement fixes.

If you had a case open that has since been closed, but are experiencing the same issue, reference your previous case number when filing so they can more quickly link your prior ticket.

Hi Heather, I'm seeing this as a completely repeatable condition (unfortunately). I'm using iOS 5.1.1 (9B206).

- Setup a new free account and login with the latest EN iPad App.

- Make sure location services are on and enabled for EN.

- Create 6 or so iPad screenshots to the camera roll.

- Create a new note using the shortcut key next to recent notes.

- Select the camera roll from the top of the new note.

- Select the last four, or so, images in the camera roll one after the other perhaps 2 seconds between each.

- Close the note within 5-10 seconds.

The sync then spins for a few minutes and I get this -

syncerror.jpg

Once I have this condition I haven't found a solution other than to delete the note and close the App (by double pressing the home button and holding your finger on the EN icon) and...... eventually it unjams until I do something similar.

Update - If I power off the iPad completely and back on it completes the sync. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the problem reoccurring but its a way out! :)

Update - Powering off didn't fix it this morning... switched to my 2nd broadband and that sorted it. It's just random?#! :(

No, the new "balancer" has not fixed the problem. I don't know how much you have paid your third party to implement the fix. But get a refund.

>> That would likely be why there was a lull in posts in this thread.

Not really. A simpler explanation is people are on vacation.

Problem is still ther for me too.

I deleted EN iOS client on Iphone 4S and updated to latest version, I still get the sync error message each time I try to create a note with one or more pictures.

The problem even seems to occur when I try to upload pictures froma third party like docscanner which uses the evernote sdk. It used to work in the past but now I also get an error message stating that there is an error witht the evernote SDK.

I am a premium user anf the support staff does not even bother answering my ticket.

Please take this as a priority. We cannot use Evernote from iOS anymore and that's my main use of it.

• Level 5*

I deleted EN iOS client on Iphone 4S and updated to latest version, I still get the sync error message each time I try to create a note with one or more pictures.

The problem even seems to occur when I try to upload pictures froma third party like docscanner which uses the evernote sdk. It used to work in the past but now I also get an error message stating that there is an error witht the evernote SDK.

I am a premium user anf the support staff does not even bother answering my ticket.

Please take this as a priority. We cannot use Evernote from iOS anymore and that's my main use of it.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Could you post your support ticket number here so that staff can look into this? Thanks!

The problem has gone away for me yesterday and today.

It may be a coincident... but problem was gone right after I upgraded from iOS5 to iOS6.0.1 (iPhone 4S).

I have EN's latest client, tested with Large and Actual Size photos. Tested only a few times, so not a very extensive test. But previously I got 95% failure rate. So it is a definite and surprising improvement.

Some other Apps also have problem with iOS5. E.g. Native GMail always crashes when I try to zoom in an email content. But problem simply disappears after upgrading to iOS6.

UPDATE on Jan 16, 2013: This was a fluke. Problem exists.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Could you post your support ticket number here so that staff can look into this? Thanks!

@grumpymonkey : my ticket nimber is #16051-198055. It was closed on 12/12/12 and I reopened it on 18th of December and sent more explanations on 20th of December. No answer from support.

Same problem with ticket #16051-202817 : it was never closed but no answer at all since my last update of the ticket on 17/12/12.

I get the impression this is an accepted problem.... it has only partly improved as the default photo quality of LARGE is significantly smaller in Bytes than 'Full Size'.

I guess like the PDF issue in August a fix will appear within 3 weeks. I think the delay in part is because EN found another problem and genuinely thought it would fix this problem! Obviously the App store approval process does not assist speedy resolution.

BUT like many issues here, it would help a lot if we knew the problem is known/accepted and is due to be fixed ASAP.

+1 the error has not been resolved by software updates or load balancing solution.

Exactly the same issue as reported from day one of this thread.

All notes with images seem to sync eventually but that's not what we paid for,

We love this product because it used to be like this:

capture..sync..search..tell everyone how cool it is

NOT

capture..sync..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..FAIL..search..look for solution..FAIL..Embarrassed to tell anyone else about it..FAIL..Start looking for alternative..FAIL..even if they do less but are working reliably..MOVE ON..feels like losing an old friend to illness

Yes, confirming the problem still exists with Actual Size photos.

This is very frustrating. Logging a support ticket eventually boils down to "Yes problem has been reported as a bug, now closing your ticket". Why would a ticket be closed if the problem still exists?

>> BUT like many issues here, it would help a lot if we knew the problem is known/accepted and is due to be fixed ASAP.

I still don't know if EN has accepted this as a bug and is working on it. The latest update from them in this thread is: the solution has been deployed and you should not have this problem any more.

What's ASAP?

Hi all

I would just like to come into this thread as a quick Google search brought it up. I am a new user to Evernote and I am very disappointed to be having this problem, but even more disappointed to find a thread posted about it months ago, still active today because it has not been fixed. I love the concept of Evernote and I have been using it on my iPad, however this needs to be fixed, ASAP.

<general rant>

This problem has been present since at least 10th November when this topic was created. Over two months without resolving the problem is shocking. As previous posters have pointed out, EN seem keener to release new functionality than fixing existing problems.

I suggest tweeting EN (or retweeting this:

@evernote How about a fixing a 2+ month old problem (http://t.co/WQrdUb6A) instead of concentrating on new functionality?

— Chris Cobb (@TheChrisCobb)

January 17, 2013
), as they don't appear to closely monitor this forum. If enough of us do so hopefully we can get an update.

</general rant>

I hardly have used Evernote - barely 50 items posted but I keep reading about how great it is - so the last few days I read a lot of articles, used it more, added a button to gmail to capture mails, did several web clips, then wasted a lot of time trying to get sync working on my iPod touch. Now I find this thread. What a failure. Now I go back to my old reliable ways.

Hey folks -- I wanted to drop a quick note to let you know that we're aware the latest fix did not resolve the problem for everyone and that we *are* treating this as a high priority issue. As Heather mentioned earlier in the thread, we resolved one load balancer bug which fixed the problem for a lot of folks (but obviously not everyone). Our developers and operations team are working closely with our load balancer provider to diagnose additional causes. I assure you that we'll get a fix out as soon as we possibly can.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you all for your patience in the meantime.

Open Evernote on iPod touch

1. Create a New note - immediately get synchronization fail before I type anything - ignore that

and type the note title

2. Close the note and Evernote saves it locally as (Pending Synchonrization)

3. Paste content to the created note

4. Close the note - immediately get synchronization fail

still with problems

I recently tried again to upload my pictures in a normal note. It works sometimes, but the error persist most of the times, I think the developers finally are taking solutions for this issue, keep doing the good work guys. ;)

Don't waste your time fiddling with device-side workarounds. (Turn off networking, paste, quit, do a little dance, etc.) It is already acknowledged to be a server-side error so there's nothing you can do except (im)patiently wait for them to finally fix it for good.

I have about had it with EN. EVERY version I have used has had a MAJOR problem with Mac/IOS. This latest sync issue is typical.

What's all this 'load balancer' BS anyway... really? Dropbox doesn't seem to have any 'load balancer' mumbo-jumbo-fiddly-wow-its-hard-to-build-software-because-its-soooooo-complicated BS.

EN: you are pissing off your customers with your almost non existant customer service (does anyone at EN own a single copy of any book by Seth Godin?) and major problems with your software. Sync large files, really? You can't get THAT right?

When they are not ignoring our posts on this issue, EN employees will jump on and state blandly "open a ticket". I have opened two tickets on this issue and essentially been told to remove and re-install EN and sync my thousands of notes again... and again.... and again. What an amazingly convenient way to use an app... all I have to do is completely reinstall the app and sync everything every time I want to sync a single large note or image...

It seems some companies love making great software for their customers and it makes them great money, while others love making great money from their customers and it shows.

I finally got frustrated enough with this issue to do some research. So glad I found this discussion thread. I actually downgraded from a premium membership recently because using EN was just not easy enough to warrant spending money on it. Two month on an issue is simply unacceptable. I'm currently looking for alternatives.

So I have been patiently waiting for an update to this problem, my notes have not synced since november 30th.

I have around 70 notes on my iphone that have not synced yet, I was wondering if I uninstall the app on my iphone to re-install it, will I lose these notes

Hi Willbert, I'd talk to support as although EN sync on the iPhone/iOS is very unreliable at the moment, usually with closing the app, powering off the iPhone fully or switching to a different Wifi location the sync will complete after a few attempts.

Obviously very poor, but it's not a solid issue like you are seeing.

Much improvement this morning. But my primary use case is Large size photos only. Got about 20 snapshots synced with zero failure. Just like before. Hope this trend continues.

One week has passed. Not a single sync failure for me and my wife for our use cases (iOS, Large photos only, up to 5 photos or so per note, perhaps 1-5 notes everyday).

Thanks a lot. Still feel sorry for the users who are experiencing problems.

• Level 5*

My old iPod touch has not synced for months and still does not sync today. I just bought a new Touch and it does sync [on the same account] so far. That's a bit better, but not great since I'm planning on using both the old and new ones.

Hi. Please make sure to backup your iPod Touch in iTunes on your computer, and contact support soon (see the link in my signature below), because you will definitely want to sync if you have any data on the old iPod Touch that has not yet been synced. Support can help you out with this. If it is only a few notes, you can just email them to your account.

I just made a test with 4 full size pictures and it worked as a charm for the first time since november.

Seems like the problem is solved.

I was so annoyed by this bug that I stoped my premium membership today.

But now that it seems to be fixed, I've just activated it again.

Please Evernote staff can you confirm you've identified and solved the issue for good ?

My old iPod touch has not synced for months and still does not sync today. I just bought a new Touch and it does sync [on the same account] so far. That's a bit better, but not great since I'm planning on using both the old and new ones.

Hi. Please make sure to backup your iPod Touch in iTunes on your computer, and contact support soon (see the link in my signature below), because you will definitely want to sync if you have any data on the old iPod Touch that has not yet been synced. Support can help you out with this. If it is only a few notes, you can just email them to your account.

Thanks - I stopped using Evernote on my touch back when it stopped syncing- the only stuff I have there is for showing that sync does not work. My main use was to show recipes [when I'm in the kitchen] that I added on the desktop/web.

Now I get to enjoy my new iPod where I now have a camera and can snap photos of the food and sync them back to the web.

I solved that sync problem definetly. I have iphone 5. My sync problem's reason coming from my PC program. Sync problem started on my iphone after last update evernote on my PC. I tried everything from my iphone and no success. Then I investigate evernote user interface on my PC. I realized that "Conflicting Changes" note upper left corner. Before update that was different. I clicked on it and choose other option. That's it :lol:. Please try and inform me. Thanks.

Still receiving Sync Errors when trying to sync notes with pictures taken on my iPhone

I get the following message:

Synchronisation Error: Could not make HTTP request.

I am a paying customer, please sort this out before I find another app to sync my notes and pictures

OK I was a bit bored this evening so I set about troubleshooting this issue. Uninstalled most of my Apps didn't help.... Reseting the device didn't help.

Upgraded to iOS6.1 problem FIXED!!! Tried my test which fails every time and its been fine, three times in a row...

So is everybody here still using iOS 5?

Obviously not much use if you have an iPad 1!

I would like to share my frustration with the members of this forum, and if they are around, Evernote staff.

I have not been able to synchronize a single new or updated note from my iPhone to Evernote servers since Nov. 26, 2012. Unlike some other members, I can't see any error message.

I have searched and deleted any conflicting notes. I have update iOS and my PC client to their latest version. I have tried to e-mail my unsynced notes, but most were truncated.

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote on my iPhone as I could not get confirmation whether my unsynced notes would be deleted or not.

Syncing from PC to iPhone works. More surprisingly, apps like Instant Ever will send notes to the servers unlike the standard Evernote app.

While waiting for an app update that would solve this issue, I have canceled my Premium subscription started 2 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I also have the same problem like AixiA, no upload since the end of 2012 and no error. It acts like the sync is complete while it's not. I do not have any notes since last year accessible on the internet. (I also tried making a note on the website and it does not sync to my iOS). I've been searching for solutions a few months now, and have been watching this thread for a while. Making a support ticket didn't work as the website always crashed when adding the logtext. (don't ask me how that is possible, it just didn't work to contact support and yes I know how to work an a computer very well. Anyways the support does not seem to help for the people so yeah.)

My thought was to wait for an update and meanwhile I could just work on my iOS on my texts.

NOW,

after the latest update I was thinking my problems would be solved. NO, it has became even worst. I don't have any access to my notes anymore?? As a writer, philosopher and artist I only have text notes and nothing more. No heavy things, no audio no images or photos. And it is very very important to acces my files...

When I try to open a note it states this, even if I just created it:

image_1362143085410430.jpg

"You are not connected to internet

upgrade to premium to acces offline notes"

1: I am connected but I think it states not because my note is not uploaded to the server?

2: Why would I upgrade if the app isn't working, this just made me laugh...

So how can I acces my notes now??

It isn't even impossible to copy all of my notes and reinstall the app (what has been the only kind of sollution given by EN), I don't know what to do and NEED my notes very very much.

Is there any way to go into the root of my iphone and find my notes? I assume the texts are still on my device but EN does not allow me to acces them.

Or is there a way to sync my notes while connected by USB cable?

I am not the first one, but hear my scream for help, Evernote! Because I'm feeling like I should have Never-note with your app :)

I now have EN version 5.2.0.263647

On my iOS 5.1.1

Kind regards,

Sieger Joostens

Hey,

I'm facing the same sync error. "unexpected problem at server side". I have been having this error, since like 2 months. 

this is what my logs says:

"14:15:02 [6636] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com

14:15:02 [6636] 0% * loaded updateCount: 618
14:15:03 [6636] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=1
14:15:03 [6636] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount=618
14:15:04 [6636] 0% EDAMNotFoundException: id="Notebook.guid" key="d8d6b024-b0e6-4d5f-b3fc-884cfc4bd109"
14:15:04 [6636] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 1s
14:15:04 [6636] 0% * sent: 332B, received: 171B
14:15:04 [6636] 0% * 1s (93%) spent in EDAM RPC"

Actually I don't have a notebook called Notebook, neither have I one called "d8d6b024-b0e6-4d5f-b3fc-884cfc4bd109".

So what might the problem be?

ps.: I have win7 64 bit.

I was thinking about posting that this issue appears to be resolved and dead because I had not experienced it for several weeks.  Unfortunately this was wishful thinking.  It is back on my iPhone 5 and now I have about half a dozen unsynced notes.  All photos.  The bottleneck is a note with only 5 attached photos.  I am not a tech guy, but it seems like the issue here is a configuration or setting on the Evernote end that needs to be tweaked.  How can it be so complex/difficult?  This is fast turning my favorite app into my most frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

in my opinion and from the many frustrations on this forum (sync really is bad), i dont find evernote a reliable tool to migrate to for your notes. i see a lot of hype about evernote everywhere. it will be a good idea to stick to google email drafts. wish google can integrate notes functionality to gmail app .. it will be so convenient.

Never had a problem with Evernote before today. The mac app and the web app work fine, but none of my iOS devices sync anymore. I get "Synchronization Failed.  Unknown Error u2" every time I try to sync.

I logged out one of my devices and now I can't log that device back in. Every time I try I get the following message: "Error: Error communicating with the Evernote servers"

Again, the mac app and the web app appear to work fine. I have rebooted, deleted and reinstalled, etc. on my iOS devices all to no avail. Frustrating. 

I also had the same issue when trying to sync notes with pictures (full size) from Iphone 4 latest iOS. I had the issue a few months ago, then it was solved, and it started again last week.

I had to delete evernote from my device and reinstall it. Then I recreated the notes and it synced fine.

Needless to say that this is very annoying as I loose all my 1Go offline syncs on the iphone each time I delete the app. Then it takes ages to resync everything offline.

If this happens randomly every 2 or 3 months I might consider start looking for a better solution despite the fact I love evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm what everyone else reports - I cannot sync photos in notes from my iphone.  Emailing them works fine.   Very annoying.  Plus, it undermines the benefit of the note camera thing - for taking pics of moleskine notes.

Evernote on my iPad won't stop syncing after I took a photo with the app. Sync issues are happening with enough frequency (at least once every 2 weeks) that I've started viewing Evernote as an app that I can't really trust. 

I just added a tag to approximately 5,000 notes in my desktop as a work-around for the limited search capabilities.   When I finally completed the sync, I went to my laptop and performed a sync.  It completed the sync without any warning.  Except the new tag was missing!

So ... in order to work around limited search capabilities (did I mention limited search capabilities?) I now find an unreliable sync.

At some point, as more people place more notes in Evernote and then notice that they need better search capabilities, as well as more than 100 saved searches, this is simply going to exacerbate the problem.

I hope someone is working on this.  

It was doing better for me, but has gotten bad again.

Now I get an error that says "Synchronization failed.  Unexpected errors occurred while sychronizing with the Evernote service."  When I click on View Details it says "Description: Unexpected NSURLResponse type: (null) Reason: Could not sync note 'note title'. Description: Synchronization failed."  Then I get another pop-up which says "Synchronization failed.  Synchronization failed because of an error communicating with the Evernote servers.  Please try again later."

There's a huge issue.  Every time it fails (at least I think every time), I get another copy of the note.  In the webUI and on the iPad, all the copies appear to have the audio.  I haven't listened to it to see if its complete (its 2 hours.)

I have had the same problem on my iPhone 4.  30+ notes with a "blue arrow" that won't sync no matter what I do, and that I can't open because "I'm not connected to the internet" (false), so I can't even save the images to my camera roll and then send them to myself via some workaround.  I'm pretty shocked that this thread was created so many months ago and that this problem still hasn't been solved.  

I just got a marketing email from EN announcing their new "document search" feature.

It made me mad. It served as a clear message that the priorities within EN are not to create a stable, core service but to push features to drive new subscriptions. This sync issue is hurting current customers but nobody seems to care.

This sync issue is a SERIOUS defect in their service. At the core of a service like EN, that promotes a central hub for notes with multiple options for clients, sync HAS TO WORK. it must be considered paramount. If sync doesn't work, EN cannot be trusted for anything of importance.

I have asked my colleagues to start migrating their notes off of EN and we are evaluating other solutions. It's a shame. I am actually quite sympathetic to software companies when they experience bugs. I'm also very patient while they work to resolve them. But this situation is different. There is not even a shred of evidence that fixing this is anywhere in the list of priorities. This is a total disregard for the customer.

• Level 5*

I just got a marketing email from EN announcing their new "document search" feature.

It made me mad. It served as a clear message that the priorities within EN are not to create a stable, core service but to push features to drive new subscriptions. This sync issue is hurting current customers but nobody seems to care.

This sync issue is a SERIOUS defect in their service. At the core of a service like EN, that promotes a central hub for notes with multiple options for clients, sync HAS TO WORK. it must be considered paramount. If sync doesn't work, EN cannot be trusted for anything of importance.

I have asked my colleagues to start migrating their notes off of EN and we are evaluating other solutions. It's a shame. I am actually quite sympathetic to software companies when they experience bugs. I'm also very patient while they work to resolve them. But this situation is different. There is not even a shred of evidence that fixing this is anywhere in the list of priorities. This is a total disregard for the customer.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. 

I am afraid I do not know what the Evernote developers are up to, or when they will get this fixed, but I don't think document search, which was rolled out to all of the clients, is any indication that they don't care about improving the iOS app.

There are different teams for different platforms, and sometimes there are major changes that affect everyone, like the document search feature. It has probably been in development for some time, and I doubt that the iOS team was very much involved with it. I certainly wouldn't expect Evernote to hold back a feature like this for everyone because of a bug in the app on one platform.

Anyhow, the real issue (I think) is that you have a complaint about the service, it isn't doing what you want it to do, and you are wondering when it will get fixed. The latest news about the progress was this: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31307-evernote-sync-error/?p=184326 I think there is evidence that they are treating it seriously. Hopefully, it will get solved soon.

Hi, this is my first post here and it's a pity that it has to be such a negative one. I reported this to Evernote as well and got the response that it's a bug and it might get added to a list to be fixed at some indeterminate date in the future. This is a serious problem that stops the core function of Evernote from working and it does seem to be taken less than seriously. If syncing cannot be trusted it makes the whole platform pretty useless. For a company that says it wants to last a hundred years or more it seems short-sighted to be letting such a critical bug exist for so long. 

But what is particularly annoying for me is that I'm paying for a Premium account that doesn't provide the service I am paying for. And there is not enough consideration for customers to even care about it. 

We are reading and watching, thank you everyone who is continuing to report sync issues here--this is one of the prime threads we look at for feedback on sync issues, so keep them coming.  A couple things:

• We do have a major fix version on its way, including note duplication and "content length misreported" issues.  No ETAs, but it's close.
  • When it comes to sync issues, there can be multiple vectors and variables at play, as I'm sure you know.  So we'll continue to hammer away at any sync issues you see, including those that occur after the fix release.
  • As always, report sync issues to support, and we'll continue to gather logs from specific cases.
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a similar issue when syncing multiple photos.  Not only does the sync not complete but it burns through my data allowance.  Not good.

I just had it go through 300mb... ended up having to delete the app from my iPhone and reinstall.

Hopefully that worked...  I've gone through this in the past and I do not look forward to trying to get the data used credited back.

Premium subscriber here & I thought I'd snap a set of pictures to Evernote this evening with my iPhone 4S (EverNote ver 5.2.3).  Boy what a mistake that was!  Sync continued for hours, chewed my battery like crazy, and prompted me to come here and ask "what's up?"   Seriously, Evernote, between this and the jagged scrolling (even on my iPad 4!) you are making me regret paying for my year of premium.  You guys need to get back to basics in a hurry, because I'm already wondering about other services.  You've got plenty of "partners" and "accessorie."  --  Please forget the Moleskines and make your software sync WORK seamlessly.

WOW...I never realised I was blowing through all my data while NOT syncing...that's just a final kick in the balls. Now even if I get it working, I can't sync photos since I have no data left!

By the way, i've been here since the ealy days of this thread late last year. Made the mistake of structuring some of my business around Evernote. Never thought I'd still be here SIX MONTHS LATER!

I think it's finally time to move on. I'll even have to re-shoot instructional videos we did on how to use EN...I believed in the product and it has let me down, plain and simple.

For the record: notes seem to sync fine from PC, and my old iPad but for some reason the iPad Minis I buy for clients don't work (embarassing me in front of clients, looks like I what I promise is BS)--photos are the initial culprit, but deleting them doesn't seem to work (and now that I know I have no data left, I can't even test it!)

My wife has just mocked me for being stubborn and naive, still hoping EN will fix the problem.

I'm out.

Can we maybe turn this into a forum for ideas on what OTHER products people like since this one isn't working?

James- check your data usage as well. You probably burned through a Big part of the 1gb allowance.

Ugh! You're almost right.  This sync fiasco has used over 500 Mb of my 1Gb monthly allowance. (And this is from a guy who probably rarely exceeds 30 Mb/month and never feels the need to check.)  This is extremely disappointing.

The Syncing disease has now spread to my iPad 4! Ugh again! It was syncing for 20 minutes this morning.

Pencil and Moleskines are starting to look really good.

WOW...I never realised I was blowing through all my data while NOT syncing...that's just a final kick in the balls. Now even if I get it working, I can't sync photos since I have no data left!

By the way, i've been here since the ealy days of this thread late last year. Made the mistake of structuring some of my business around Evernote. Never thought I'd still be here SIX MONTHS LATER!

I think it's finally time to move on. I'll even have to re-shoot instructional videos we did on how to use EN...I believed in the product and it has let me down, plain and simple.

For the record: notes seem to sync fine from PC, and my old iPad but for some reason the iPad Minis I buy for clients don't work (embarassing me in front of clients, looks like I what I promise is BS)--photos are the initial culprit, but deleting them doesn't seem to work (and now that I know I have no data left, I can't even test it!)

My wife has just mocked me for being stubborn and naive, still hoping EN will fix the problem.

I'm out.

Can we maybe turn this into a forum for ideas on what OTHER products people like since this one isn't working?

I'm right there with you. I can't believe the amount of time that this has been going on for. This is core functionality for EN. Sync is 100% the most important feature for our users. It has to work or we can't use the service.

I posted here a week or so ago and one of the EN folks responded with a link to a post where someone from EN was discussing the issue and stated that they were working on it. That post was from 1/18/13. It's now May 1st.

I just submitted another ticket last night as I have now lost important notes as a result of this. I had a meeting with one of our business partners where I created a note on my iPhone 5, took 1 photo, and added some text notes. I can't even begin to express how important this note was. Well, after a week or so with this note being stuck in "Sending Changes", I eventually started getting "Synchronization Failed" messages and this note was no longer accessible on my device. It's gone and never made it to the server.

I also updated my App Store review accordingly. Previously, I gave them a 5-star review.

I am tired of feeling like a helpless consumer at the mercy of EN. They took my money, gained my trust, and I am getting shafted. Like I said before in a previous post, I totally understand app bugs and sympathize with companies when they have them. I'm in the software business myself and I fully understand the growing pains of scaling an application. It's expected that bugs like this will arise.

What wasn't expected was a long-term, critical issue with their core service offering that continues to plague many of its users. On top of this, we are left without the transparency and full-disclosure that you would expect of a company like Evernote.

I finally figured out that Evernote on my iPad was failing on sync because of notes in my trash!! I emptied my trash, and things have been syncing ok for a week or two (knock wood).

This is really unacceptable.

• Level 5*

I finally figured out that Evernote on my iPad was failing on sync because of notes in my trash!! I emptied my trash, and things have been syncing ok for a week or two (knock wood).

Best to open a support request for this, so that Evernote will know about the scenario/solution if they don't already. Thanks.

This was the response to my question:

- Click the "Elephant" in the upper left of the iOS client, then click your Name.
- Three finger tap The Quota bar (this is your "Current Monthly Usage") and you will see "Verbose Logging Enabled" when you are successful
- Go to the note in question, bring up the Note info ("i" in upper right)
- Scroll down to below the map.
- Export the note and mail it to to yourself.
- It will create an .enex file that can be imported in a desktop version of Evernote.

I said that this wasn't really a solution since I have dozens and dozens of notes that I'd need to do this with one by one, but they said "the log doesn't tell them which note is causing the sync problems" (of course we know from this thread that it's not one note, it's a system issue).  This does not solve the problem!

James- check your data usage as well. You probably burned through a Big part of the 1gb allowance.

Ugh! You're almost right.  This sync fiasco has used over 500 Mb of my 1Gb monthly allowance. (And this is from a guy who probably rarely exceeds 30 Mb/month and never feels the need to check.)  This is extremely disappointing.

The Syncing disease has now spread to my iPad 4! Ugh again! It was syncing for 20 minutes this morning.

Pencil and Moleskines are starting to look really good.

For those of you who have had note duplication issues on iOS churning through your upload allowance, please do contact support. We are aware of at least on root cause of this issue and have a fix coming soon. In the meantime, support should be able to give you instructions on how to get back up and running and look into quota concerns.

This turned out to be the cause of my problem.

I could not synch notes created or edited on my iPad. Emptying the Trash on the iPad fixed the problem.

There were a number of large documents in the trash that were blocking the synch process.

Also having sync problems, specifically:

- sync creates multiple copies of notes (perhaps sync is interrupted and when restarting sees the partially copied note in the other evice and thinks its a new note to be synced back to the origin?)

- large notes often fail to sync

- snapshots taken from within a note are difficult to extract if the note does not sync

- emailing a note outside of evernote does not seem to work

- I have lost two major sets of meeting records and several hours due to this. Evernote is not yet suitable for professional use

- the sync errors, reinstalling and redownloading use up your monthly alllowance and if you are a premium user you end up paying more  - is this a coincidence? A probelm that generates more revenue for Evernote?

• Level 5*

Also having sync problems, specifically:

- sync creates multiple copies of notes (perhaps sync is interrupted and when restarting sees the partially copied note in the other evice and thinks its a new note to be synced back to the origin?)

- large notes often fail to sync

- snapshots taken from within a note are difficult to extract if the note does not sync

- emailing a note outside of evernote does not seem to work

- I have lost two major sets of meeting records and several hours due to this. Evernote is not yet suitable for professional use

- the sync errors, reinstalling and redownloading use up your monthly alllowance and if you are a premium user you end up paying more  - is this a coincidence? A probelm that generates more revenue for Evernote?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I think it would be worth contacting support about this (see the link in my signature).

As for the theory that Evernote is trying to earn more revenue from you by inserting bugs into their app, I think we can safely assume that is not the case. First of all, you can re-install and download your notes as many times as you want today, but it will not affect your monthly allowance, so you are not paying anything more for the service, and they are not receiving any extra revenue. Evernote only counts data that you upload against your monthly allowance. Moreover, if there is some kind of sync error that results in your upload allowance getting used up more than it should, then all you have to do is contact customer support. They will take care of it for you. All of this applies to both Free and Premium accounts.

• Level 5*

Update: to EN credit, they did up my data allowance after the sync blew through it. That got me by until I had time to uninstall and re-install which seems to have fixed the problem...for now.

Fingers crossed

Good to hear. Thanks for reporting to us about it.
  • 2 weeks later...

please help me (too). I can't use it as a premium member since some weeks on the main machine. 

It says:

20:38:07 [2464] 11% * Creating local resource "eb22515c83c6c5170a8cb9c0e17d29b0"
20:38:07 [2464] 11% * rsrc={2FE8D684-F917-49C7-B6EC-011F9770A013}, note={c5b03961-50f3-4879-9679-7a9d1d6e340d}
20:38:07 [2464] 11% * Creating local resource "f0472485d9a30cf0d6b536e6b045da9a"
20:38:07 [2464] 11% * rsrc={AD9058E2-778F-43B1-872A-9DBD7FC52AC0}, note={c5b03961-50f3-4879-9679-7a9d1d6e340d}
20:38:08 [2464] Commit failed: code=00000202, ITEM_NOT_FOUND, error: "Database exception: CantCommitTransaction disk I/O error (commit)"
20:38:08 [2464] 11% SyncException: Error: Can't commit transaction, error: ITEM_NOT_FOUND (Database exception: CantCommitTransaction disk I/O error (commit))
20:38:08 [2464] 11% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 29s
20:38:08 [2464] 11% * sent: 2.6KB, received: 9.3MB
20:38:08 [2464] 11% * 26s (91%) spent in EDAM RPC
20:39:26 [2492] Commit failed: code=00000303, ITEM_NOT_FOUND, error: "Database exception: CantCommitTransaction disk I/O error (commit)"
20:39:26 [2492] Can't save impression info for ad 69180, error: ITEM_NOT_FOUND

What can I do? 
Thanx, Bernd
  • 2 months later...

Same problem here.

a note with photos whose size was 61mb, was duplicated 23(!) times, burning my mobile data package (around 10-15euro), evertnote monthly data usage, battery, and time trying to sync.

right now, sync goes only one-way, from laptop to iphone.

notes i create on the iphone do not appear on my laptop.

and the scrolling and text-handling is as bad as always.

evernote support ? is there anybody out there reading this thread ?

• 1 year later...

Archived