How do I disable Web Clipper?

Or better yet, uninstall it, if that is possible. I installed an Evernote update today and discovered that every time I copy text, it's turned into a note in Evernote. Among other things, this can be one hell of a security risk (try copying a password). There's also the fact that this wasn't mentioned during the update installation. And, finally, it's simply annoying. If I can't stop this behavior, then I'll have to go back to an earlier version of Evernote. If that doesn't work, goodbye, Evernote.

Thanks to anyone who has an answer.

• Like 1

Hi Rickscafe,

Thanks for the report, this doesn't sound like an expected behavior. Can you give me some more details on this. We haven't heard about such a behavior before. I'd like to know:

- your browser and version

- your OS and version

- which Web Clipper version number

And what did you update that caused this behavior to start?

• 1 year later...

Since Evernote Clipper has to run at start to work, and a number of us want the freedom to turn it off for various reasons that need no justification, and Evernote has already promised an option to disable it in the registry...

How about a checkbox to disable it in the options with a note that a restart is required?

Or code it as a service that can be started/stopped/disabled?

Now THAT'D be true customer service and support. ;)

Evernote, please consider this a request.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I do have the exact same behaviour here. I was already in contact with technial support, which did not really care (send report, restart, reinstall).

The paste-creates-note problem continues even if i quit Evernote - i have to quit the tray-icon top stop this behaviour.

Please let us disable the web clipper somehow - or even better: fix this (and many other bugs) in Evernote.

S.

Or better yet, uninstall it, if that is possible. I installed an Evernote update today and discovered that every time I copy text, it's turned into a note in Evernote. Among other things, this can be one hell of a security risk (try copying a password). There's also the fact that this wasn't mentioned during the update installation. And, finally, it's simply annoying. If I can't stop this behavior, then I'll have to go back to an earlier version of Evernote. If that doesn't work, goodbye, Evernote.

Thanks to anyone who has an answer.

I don't think the problem is caused by the IE Web Clipper. Please try disabling the keyboard shortcut in the Windows client as described here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/6229d70c-da65-4a39-b16e-10c681cc6880/f4455ac2603154c8c637ad1d08451dce

If however you don't want the IE Web Clipper you can disable it in:

in IE go to Tools > Toolbars > Manage Add-ons alternatively Disable Add-ons. 

Thank you for you answer.

I disabled all global shortcuts. I hope this helps.

S.

I don't think the problem is caused by the IE Web Clipper. Please try disabling the keyboard shortcut in the Windows client as described here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/6229d70c-da65-4a39-b16e-10c681cc6880/f4455ac2603154c8c637ad1d08451dce

If however you don't want the IE Web Clipper you can disable it in:

in IE go to Tools > Toolbars > Manage Add-ons alternatively Disable Add-ons. 

• 4 months later...

I need it disabled in IE as well, for similar security concerns, yet I want it available in Chrome. There were no options for that during the install, just assumptions that I would want it everywhere.

I disabled two different add-ons in IE and restarted it. What do you know? It's still there. Well, all of the right-click options are still there, though IE throws up multiple security warnings if I try to clip something as a test. Not quite was most people consider "disabled", I don't think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread since I posted here in 2012. I have discovered a fix for the main problem, which is that the boy geniuses at Evernote don't 1) think, or 2) care. I've simply stopped using Evernote. I didn't plan it - it just happened. Thank you, Evernote, for developing your product to the point where NOT using it is easier than using it - now that's something I can get behind! Life is so much simpler now.

I know that this doesn't help people who are forced to use it at work; sorry. Evernote WAS excellent software. Now, as with virtually all recent commercial software, it's trying to do too much whilst simultaneously gathering as much user data as possible. This, I can live without.

• 5 months later...

Stop Evernote Clipper from running by changing the following registry setting from 1 (default) to 0.

HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper

EDIT: Please see my new bigger answer to this below.  Evernote since I made this post originally have made it even harder to stop Clipper but it is possible :-).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

How is it that this thread is FOUR years old and Evernote still hasn't given us an option to disable the infuriating and unwanted evernote web clipper? The employees have clearly seen this thread, and then clearly went on to ignore the problem all this time since it's the end of 2016 and there's STILL no option in the program to disable the web clipper. 

Users should not have to go into the registry to change a setting that should be an option in the program. Eff you, Evernote, and especially Microsoft--who is probably behind this unacceptable failure for the sake of data mining.

I would have bought this program if the company wasn't so sleezy with the web clipper, which should be renamed as a feature to "GLARING SECURITY RISK". 

How? Well according to what I've read on the Internet the answer lay in a lack of focus. That is, the dev lead(s) seemed to keep adding in new features and then abandoning them before they were bug-free. Instead of focusing on getting the new features fit and polished and responsive to what their customers were telling them they just kept throwing more unfinished features into the product/service and then moving on to add in yet more unfinished features. The issue we've highlighted here in this discussion thread is just one of many examples.

Meanwhile I've moved on to using a combination of DigiCal, Aquamail and Google Keep for my portable office solutions. Let this be a lesson to software developers everywhere: Customers hate few things more than being forced to put up with something they don't need, don't want and can't get rid of. The classic example of this is the infamous Clippy "feature" that Microsoft bungled. Google takes the cake though; the fiasco that Google+ turned into was arrogance of monumental proportions. Their misguided insistence that every Google user of every Google product must have Google+ integration whether the user wanted it or not with no opt-out was just infuriating. You know Google+ integration is unpopular when a song with a refrain that starts "F@ck You Google+" goes viral (it currently has 3.6 million views). Note to Evernote developers: DO NOT try to emulate what Google did with Google+. It's a cautionary tale, not an instruction manual.

There's nothing like pissing off your user base to make them start looking for a replacement.

• 2 years later...

To stop the clipper (in Windows):

1) Exit Evernote

2) In Windows Task Manager kill the Evernote Clipper task that is running

Now to stop clipper running ever again...

3) Run regedit and in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper set this to 0

This will stop Clipper starting up when you start Evernote for windows.

I have also attached this as a .reg file that you can download and just click on to run if you dont want to manually set the setting value to 0.

4) Run windows task manager -> Start-up tab -> RMB on Evernote Clipper and set it to disable.

This is to stop Evernote clipper from starting on windows startup.

This works as of Evernote 6.18.4.8489. 

Note: Every time Evernote updates you might want to check that they havent reset some of these settings and Clipper is not now starting up again.

NOTE TO EVERNOTE DEVELOPERS (from a developer):

Forcing the user to always have clipper running is pretty bad practice and there should be an option to easily stop it from running.  Why?  Cos the clipper hijacks so many key combinations at a system level probably without the user knowing.

Why do I want to not have clipper running in the background?

I (like millions of others out there) use Microsoft Visual Studio in combination with Resharper and the key combination shortcuts conflict with each other and because Evernote has hijacked the key combinations at a system level it stops certain key combinations from working in Visual Studio.

Evernote-StartEvernoteClipper-False.reg