REQUEST: Keyboard shortcut to scroll to top of list

soundsgoodtome

Idea

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Any update on this? Googled it but no solution found so far. With over 1,000 notes, it's frustrating to have to scroll up from  # 500 after a search dropped me there. Thanks!

OPTION-UpArrow works for me. (goes to TOP of Note list).

If you are not in the Note List, CMD-SHIFT-|  (vertical bar) will take you there.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. Don't know why.

Opt-UpArrow just goes up one note at a time for me

and

CMD-SHIFT-| just repositions the the note list. (i.e. doesn't really do anything).

:(

• Level 5*
@Jeremy Carroll:

You might check your Mac > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts to see if something else has reassigned this shortcut key.

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

It's been over three years since my original post. (Clearly fixing this isn't even remotely a priority for the developer.)

To my knowledge, the only key combinations that work (on a Mac) are either the Home key (on a full-sized keyboard) or Function-Left arrow.

The aggravating caveat is that neither shortcut works if the cursor is currently located in the body of a note. You must first click somewhere in the note list before invoking either shortcut. That's what's most irritating about this. The existing shortcuts are fine—but they should work always, regardless of the current location of the cursor. Most users spend most time in the body of their notes. We shouldn't have to click elsewhere on the interface just to get a keyboard shortcut to work.

Years of updates to Evernote produce new features, while existing features (like this one, tabbing, the color picker, and others) sadly remain broken.

• Level 5*

The aggravating caveat is that neither shortcut works if the cursor is currently located in the body of a note. You must first click somewhere in the note list before invoking either shortcut. That's what's most irritating about this. The existing shortcuts are fine—but they should work always, regardless of the current location of the cursor. Most users spend most time in the body of their notes. We shouldn't have to click elsewhere on the interface just to get a keyboard shortcut to work.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  It is very common in Mac apps for shortcuts to work differently depending on the context.

IOW, some shortcuts work only when in the document body, where there is text.  CMD-B and CMD-I are two great examples.

Other shortcuts work ONLY when the current focus is a list, like a list of files or list of Notes.

Having said that, there is an easy solution to your need:  Keyboard Maestro

You can easily create a KM macro that, regardless of the focus in Evernote, will first move the focus to the Note list, and then will move the Note selection to the top (or bottom) of the list.  You can execute this KM macro with one shortcut key.

If you're using a Mac, Keyboard Maestro is a great tool for this task, and many others.

A free full-featured trial is available for 30 days.

I highly recommend it.  KM is available here for a 20% discount.

I have posted a few KM macros I have developed.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  It is very common in Mac apps for shortcuts to work differently depending on the context.

IOW, some shortcuts work only when in the document body, where there is text.  CMD-B and CMD-I are two great examples.

Other shortcuts work ONLY when the current focus is a list, like a list of files or list of Notes.

I have years of experience with software UI. And yes, it's common in Mac apps for shortcuts to work differently, depending upon the context when there's a good reason for that.

A typical, good reason would be some sort of conflicting behavior. So, it might be necessary for a given shortcut to work in one section of the app, but to be prevented from working in another section. But in this case, no such conflict exists. The Home key and Function-Left arrow perform no other functions while the cursor is located within the body of a message. As such, there's no reason for those shortcuts NOT to perform the same function that they do when the cursor is elsewhere.

If the Home key or Function-Left arrow performed some other function in the body of a message (or caused some kind of behavioral conflict or user confusion), you'd have a point. But they don't. So, you don't.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
@soundsgoodtome:

Well, perhaps the Evernote Team will see your request, and make the change.

I certainly see your point.

Until then, the only workaround I know is to use a keyboard macro like KM.

@soundsgoodtome:

Well, perhaps the Evernote Team will see your request, and make the change.
I certainly see your point.

Until then, the only workaround I know is to use a keyboard macro like KM.

Thank you.

Archived