(Archived) Having 2 evernotes open at the same time

missionzones1

Idea

21 replies to this idea

Thanks David and everyone.

The solution was far easier than I thought.

- Create a second account and username

- From the EverNote app with the first account on the mac, export each notebook individually (I don't have that many).

- ""Sign out"" from the app (in fact you don't "sign out", there's no button or option, you only enter another username in the Account Information menu) and "sign in" with the second user name.

- Import the .enex archives (one for each notebook) you just created a few minutes ago.

And voilà !

Each notebook is created and the tags are kept intact.

It takes just a few minutes, and it's seems flawless.

- Now, on my iDevices (Phone and Pad) I will signin (there IS a menu to do so) with that new username.

Smooth as silk, if you ask me !

:(

Yes, you'd need to sign out of each client and then sign back in after changing the username via Support.

OK.

That's probaby the way I'm gonna use.

(How do you "sign out" from the EN Mac app ? I didn't find...)

I still need a few hours/days of thinking about it, though :(

Thanks again !

Changing your username is possible for Premium users, but is a little bit inconvenient, since it means you'll need to log out of all of your clients and then resync from scratch (since the client thinks that you're now using a different account). If you have Local-only notebooks, you'd need to Export and Import those.

I have an iPad, and iPhone and two laptops, all obviously synchronised.

So I guess that would rather complicated ?

:((

I can't find a viable solution ...

• Level 5*

In Windows you could do this sort of thing by logging out of Windows and logging in as a different user, so long as you have kept the databases separate, right? So I could set up something like this for, say, my wife on the machine we occasionally share (when I let her), since it's set up with different accounts.

~Jeff

Changing your username is possible for Premium users, but is a little bit inconvenient, since it means you'll need to log out of all of your clients and then resync from scratch (since the client thinks that you're now using a different account). If you have Local-only notebooks, you'd need to Export and Import those.

If you switch from one account to another in the Mac client, it will discard all of the locally stored data for account #1 and perform a full synchronization of account #2 against our servers. This will potentially take minutes or even hours, depending on your network and account sizes. So I wouldn't recommend doing this other than a one-time switch of your computer.

Thanks Dave & everyone.

- So basically that would be a hassle.

- I've tried yesterday to create a second account and email the notes from the first one : my private email address (obviously linked with my private EN account) is visible with each note on the second account, so this a no-no.

- Last option, to ask you to change my premium username.

Is this difficult or would it REALLY put my notes in jeopardy of some kind ?

(I want it to be as smooth and reliable as possible.)

THANKS !

If you switch from one account to another in the Mac client, it will discard all of the locally stored data for account #1 and perform a full synchronization of account #2 against our servers. This will potentially take minutes or even hours, depending on your network and account sizes. So I wouldn't recommend doing this other than a one-time switch of your computer.

THAT is the problem : I've been advised by Engberg to use only the web interface for the second account.

- standalone app for the first account, from where I export

- web interface only for the second account, where I'm trying to import.

In reading this thread, Dave advised you of this b/c in your OP, you wanted to access two different EN accounts simultaneously from one computer.

• Level 5*

You'll export your notes from the first account to someplace convenient and accessible; if you export a group of notes, they all go into one self-contained .enex file. Then shut it down, and log in to the second account, and import. They don't need to be open at the same time.

~Jeff

THAT is the problem : I've been advised by Engberg to use only the web interface for the second account.

- standalone app for the first account, from where I export

- web interface only for the second account, where I'm trying to import.

And that's the menu or button I can't find !

Hi,

Basically, what I need to do is transfer one of my notebooks from my first account (private) to a second one (pro) in order to "share" this notebook with that "pro username"

I understand that you advise to have one account on the standalone app and the other via the web interface, but how do you transfer notes (or a complete notebook) from one account to another ?

Thanks !

Archived