(Archived) How do I create Projects and Categories?

Hi I'm new to evernote and I've been watching some pretty neat online tutorials and most of the ones that appeal to me all have a left menu where I see a hierarchy system. I downloaded the latest versions of EN for both Mac and PC and I can't figure it out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Rose

Thanks! I'll read more about tags to see if that helps. FYI it was christykny's Youtube clip that made me do a double take on my version of evernote. Likes like she's using version 2 and I'm on version 3 .. there seems to a world of difference! Is it me??

Hi I'm new to evernote and I've been watching some pretty neat online tutorials and most of the ones that appeal to me all have a left menu where I see a hierarchy system. I downloaded the latest versions of EN for both Mac and PC and I can't figure it out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Rose

Hi Rose. To answer the question in the thread title, EN is, IMO, not well suited for project management, or even task management.

The current version (3.5.6) does NOT support true hierarchy relationship between notes. There are no subfolders or subnotebooks.

All you really have to organize is one level of folders, and tags.

While the tag structure itself can be hierarchal, it does not work the way many people would expect.

It does not replace a true hierarchical folder system used just about everywhere else.

Its more for organizing tags than for organizing notes.

EN is a great tool for creating/capturing notes from just about any source, and making those notes available to you on a wide variety of platforms including, but not limited to, Web, Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and other mobile phones.

If you can find some way to identify your EN Notes with your Project data (like Project ID, Task ID), then it can be a useful support tool for projects.

But, IMO, you will need a separate app for primary project management.

HTH.

Archived