Jump to content
danklim

export/copy audio file attachments in Evernote to iTunes

Recommended Posts

Hi, i’m trying to bulk export audio file attachments in evernote to iTunes. Can you please help? 

 

I have a lot of notes in evernote with audio file attachments and i want to make playlists of all the audio files in an application like iTunes. I definitely also want to keep them as they are currently organized in Evernote at the same time though, don’t want to mess anything up. I just want to copy all the audio attachments, but i haven’t been able to find the attachments in the finder unless i manually download them one by one. 

 

Is there any way to see all of the audio file attachments in a finder folder and bulk copy all of them? Or do i need to download each one manually? 

 

Also, it would be helpful to automatically rename the audio files so that it includes the title of the note in evernote in the title of the audio file. Is there any way to do this automatically either with evernote or 3rd party software? Maybe Hazel? Or do i need to do this manually? 

 

Thanks, 

Dan 

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you!

On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, DTLow said:

Yes, screenshot from my Mac of a note's finder folder
Not entirely useful; the real filenames are stored as metadata in the Evernote database.

 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, DTLow said:

1452958240_ScreenShot2018-12-23at16_10_07.png.78c7031efe70da61e57a785ebc183f0a.png

 

 

How do you navigate to a note's finder folder? I don't see any option to view the note in finder via menu bar or right click in evernote...?

 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, DTLow said:

If you do an html export, the filenames will rename correctly;  
I do a weekly full export as part of my backups and have  access to all the audio files

 

I'm curious about doing this to increase redundancy. I thought that all files/notes in evernote were by default backed up locally in html format (in addition to  being stored on evernote servers). Is this not true? Or do you do this to back up to external hard drive in addition to your computer?

 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, DTLow said:

You can search in Evernote for all notes containing audio files (resource:audio/*)
then select all > right-click > save attachments

 

That works great! The only way that it could be better would be if i could make it automatically rename the audio files so that it includes the title of the note in evernote in the title of the audio file. Any idea if this is possible?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, danklim said:

How do you navigate to a note's finder folder? I don't see any option to view the note in finder via menu bar or right click in evernote...?

I use a script; more details here; https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112316-scripting-on-a-mac-applescript/?do=findComment&comment=497873

>>I thought that all files/notes in evernote were by default backed up locally in html format (in addition to  being stored on evernote servers)

Macs have a full local copy of our Evernote data.  It's actually ENML format, a fork of HTML
The metadata is stored in an sqlite database.

>>do you do this to back up to external hard drive in addition to your computer?

I have backups on both my local drive, an external time-machine drive, and a cloud drive (iCloud)

My objective is recovery in case of an error.  
For example, if I accidently delete a note, the action gets sync'd to all the copies maintained by Evernote.  I can recover the data from my backups.
There's also the example of Evernote going dark for some reason.  I can access the data in my backups.

>>The only way that it could be better would be if i could make it automatically rename the audio files so that it includes the title of the note in evernote in the title of the audio file. Any idea if this is possible?

There is a manual rename attachment function.  The way to automate this with scripting is to export the attachment, rename it, then import it.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks so much!

 

On 12/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, DTLow said:

Macs have a full local copy of our Evernote data.  It's actually ENML format, a fork of HTML
The metadata is stored in an sqlite database.

Hmm, I wasn’t aware of ENML and sqlite and not familiar with either. If something goes with evernote or i accidentally delete notes and I only had evernote on a mac, pc, and ios devices (but no other external hard drive or icloud backup), would i be able to recover and still access my notes? Would it be much more complicated to view it since its in ENML and sqlite? Or is it better to export frequently to HTML like you do?

 

 

On 12/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, DTLow said:

I have backups on both my local drive, an external time-machine drive, and a cloud drive (iCloud)

My objective is recovery in case of an error.  
For example, if I accidently delete a note, the action gets sync'd to all the copies maintained by Evernote.  I can recover the data from my backups

Curious how you back up to icloud drive…. do you use some sort of software to automate this (like maybe hazel or carbon copy cloner)?

 

 

On 12/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, DTLow said:

>>The only way that it could be better would be if i could make it automatically rename the audio files so that it includes the title of the note in evernote in the title of the audio file. Any idea if this is possible?

 

I’m not sure what you mean by "The way to automate this with scripting is to export the attachment, rename it, then import it.” Would i export it to HTML? And is there a specific script for this? I’ve only used applescript a handful of times and don’t understand most of it. I see the option to rename the audio file in evernote when i right click the file, there’s only a few hundred files so i’m thinking that doing it manually might be easiest.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, danklim said:

accidentally delete notes

Deleted notes are moved to the Trash, and can be recovered.
If the Trash was emptied, backups would be the solution for recovery.

>>Curious how you back up to icloud drive

I use the export feature and it asks for the export location.  I specify a folder on the icloud drive.
I have this automated with scripting (Applescript on a Mac).

>>I’m not sure what you mean by "The way to automate this with scripting is to export the attachment,

I was referring to Applescript, and there is no rename attachment interface.  We would have to do  it the complicated way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...