Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.12 GA

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.12 - you cadownload it here. Thank you to the Beta community who helped us uncover a few critical launch blockers. Please stay tuned, we'll be releasing 6.13 Beta 1 in a few weeks. 

Fixed in GA build

• An issue where the app would sometimes hang on quit 
  • An issue where some apple scripts would not work 
  • An issue where the stacks caret for expanding and collapsing these in the sidebar was not visible

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.12: 

Evernote for Mac 6.12 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options. 
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colorsQuickly add rows and columns – via the plus button

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

Better multi-tasking 

Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu. 
Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. 

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching
  • Images in some notes created by clipper were not displayed in the note  
  • Pasting content before a horizontal rule was sometimes resulting in the deletion of content below the horizontal rule
  • Like 1

99 replies to this idea

On 2017-08-29 at 8:38 PM, nicolml said:

Thanks for reporting. We're aware of this and we are working on releasing a fix soon. 

When is soon? I note that users complained of this problem in the Beta 3 thread.

Jason Miller    84
19 minutes ago, HerbyDE said:

Problems with German Umlaute: copy a text of a note to Word, Outlook and so on makes wrong characters

evernote-umlaute.jpg

Sorry, a Known bug that hasn't been addressed yet 

CrispyCris    1
On 8/29/2017 at 4:23 PM, DTLow said:

Bug Report: Constant Sync Activity

I noticed the sync icon spinning all the time.  I had sync set at 5 minutes, so I changed it to Manual
Syncing is still happening.  I can confirm this by having a web window open at a note

Also the activity log shows something ongoing

Yes, I can confirm this as well.

In at least 30 minutes of working on some notes I was presented with at least 2 conflicting files during my writing which is strange given I have my EN set to "Manual Sync". I tried to change it to "Sync 5 min." and back to "Manual" to see if it somehow made it work but no. 

As @DTLow reported, the Activity Log is showing a syncing state, even though the Sync Icon is inactive. 

ENsync_31_08_17_14_30.png

Jason Miller    84
40 minutes ago, Old Timekeeper said:

Font settings for Simplified Chinese seem to be off again? The Japanese default sans-serif font has taken over...

Thanks for the note, I will have someone take a look at this

AndyDent    68

As this is a non-beta version, can we now please log bugs into the issue tracker?

For starters, it is still initiating sync as a side-effect of editing a note, even with sync set to Manual.

DTLow    2,225
16 minutes ago, AndyDent said:

As this is a non-beta version, can we now please log bugs into the issue tracker?

Issue tracker?

If I know a problem is related to this release, I post as per the sample below
Since we’re out of beta, I also submit a support ticket at Contact Evernote Support and include the ticket # in the post

AndyDent    68

The conflicting notes problem I experienced in the beta is still there, although does seem a bit harder to trigger. However, it hit me within the first hour of using Evernote since updating.

I logged 

support ticket #2195069 with the following text:

"The problem I raised in Ticket# 2188207 and that was discussed at length in the beta thread still occurs, although with lower frequency. Version 6.12 (455415 Direct). Unlike that original ticket, I ensured that my network was not at all congested - responsiveness in all apps is good and the only thing I was doing in Evernote was busily typing plain text content.

Whilst editing a note, on the Mac on which it was created, during a Sync event, that note is wrongly identified as causing a Conflicting Change.

This has two effects:
1) the note which I am editing, which has been continually open in a separate window, now becomes a COPY, in a new Conflicting Changes notebook.
2) An older version of the note is "restored" by sync and is the version to which links and shortcuts refer.

To fix this, I now have to copy the contents from the updated note into the "original" and delete the Conflicting Changes notebook.

Apart from nuisance value, the copying aspect of this bug is likely to result in customer complaints of "lost data". The latest version of a note is being mis-filed and that directly affects anyone using shortcuts or, like me, building up a rich wiki-like experience of linked notes.

As a side note, this problem reporting form doesn't allow selecting sync issues in the drop-downs above. I don't know if those result in any classification tags being attached to this report but if you're wondering why this is being tagged as a Notes - Tables issue that's why ;-)

I'm a software developer with over 30 years experience and as such appreciate both the complexity of the Evernote service and client code. However, I'm really disappointed with the quality of this release and the fact it went to release despite the long beta issues thread in the forums clearly identifying the problems."

• Like 2

Jason Miller    84
14 hours ago, Old Timekeeper said:

I am experiencing the same problem with Chinese. Copy and paste would result in mojibake.

Updated the current outstanding bug for this - thanks for the info

Jason Miller    84
13 hours ago, AndyDent said:

For starters, it is still initiating sync as a side-effect of editing a note, even with sync set to Manual.

I was told someone was following with you on this (besides me saying something is following up) - has anyone gotten back to you?  

Guys,

I just updated Evernote to 6.12 on MAC. I have to say I dreadfully disappointed with the new UI.

Previously I WAS able to see all my notebooks, but now I can only see 25 before I have to scroll. Who thought this was progress? UI at the Notebook level is absolutely dreadful.

There is no "Sort By" buttons with Name Count or Updated, they now have to be selected from a ridiculous drop down menu. These we always very useful, for a simple click to sort.

Please, please un-patch this version and give me back the better UI

Niall

• Like 1

jparsons    1

I'm pretty sure with the upgrade to Evernote 6.12 (from the latest BETA), the Evernote New Note window is no longer setting the cursor focus to the "Title" field when a new note is created from a note that has it's own window (it's not setting focus at all in fact). I'm guessing this is a bug introduced with all the tab work that's going on.   When starting a New Note from the main Evernote window, the application does set the cursor focus to the "Title" field correctly.

I'm used to this working:

1. Start in the main Evernote window, All Notes view
  2. Double-click a Note to get it into it's own Window
  3. Type COMMAND-N to create a new Note (new window pops-up)
  4. Note that the new window has no cursor focus set -- you cannot just start typing - instead if you type you get the MacOS alert / error beep
  5. Grumble and find mouse and click into the Title field or the message body to continue typing.. 

Can we get this fixed? Thanks!

jparsons    1

Looks like the issue also happens from the main Evernote window if you are in a search result (and probably any other mode where Evernote chooses to start a new window for the new note)

1. Start in the main Evernote window, All Notes view
  2. Search for something in your Notes - like "Test"
  3. Enter COMMAND-N to create a new Note (new window pops-up)
  4. The new window has no cursor focus set (you cannot just start typing) - if you type you get the MacOS alert / error beep
  5. Grumble and find mouse and click into the Title field or the message body to continue typing.. 

3 hours ago, Niall O'Reilly said:

Guys,

I just updated Evernote to 6.12 on MAC. I have to say I dreadfully disappointed with the new UI.

Previously I WAS able to see all my notebooks, but now I can only see 25 before I have to scroll. Who thought this was progress? UI at the Notebook level is absolutely dreadful.

There is no "Sort By" buttons with Name Count or Updated, they now have to be selected from a ridiculous drop down menu. These we always very useful, for a simple click to sort.

Please, please un-patch this version and give me back the better UI

Niall

I agree with Niall about the notebook settings.  It looks more like the business version, but I MUCH prefer the other view where I could see soooo many more notebooks at one time.  For your power users who have lots of notebooks, the new view is awful!

• Like 2

Wilburguy    3
8 hours ago, bgmckinley said:

Just upgrade to Evernote 6.12 and now the application crashes every time I close it. I get a bug report notification every time I open the application. I have tried completely uninstalling Evernote and deleting all all traces of files and folders. Problem continues. Is there anyway to roll back to an older version of Evernote? 

I have this problem as well. I had to use App Cleaner and restore from a backup to reinstall 6.11. I've wasted half a day on this. This sucks. 

• Like 2

CelenaCTan    0

The option to create local Notebooks has disappeared since upgrading to 6.12.  I am running on MacOS 10.12.6.   Is this by design?

Cheers

Celena

HelloEN    3

Version 6.12 (455416 App Store) 

PNG files flip horizontally when you use them in the picture field in the account info box. I had a 'm' as a png graphic file that I dropped in there and it showed up reversed. Once I flipped it in Preview.app and re-saved it, it presented correctly in EN.

A user brought up a query upon upgrading and so I went to investigate: Note Count differs from 6.11.x to 6.12. I'm presuming (from a cursory review of the number of shared notes with me) the difference is shared notes with me and not a loss of notes. Can anyone clarify if this is intentional, or a bug that needs squashing? Thanks! (@Chantal Leonard @Jason Miller)

Luis A    0
On 9/1/2017 at 2:18 AM, Old Timekeeper said:

I am experiencing the same problem with Chinese. Copy and paste would result in mojibake.

I have the same problem with portuguese!

I second luckman212.

This is the most unstable version of Evernote I have ever laid my hands on. Notes refuse to open, gets stuck every time I close the app, among others. 

I am desperately waiting for an update.

Thanks.

Edit: I have downgraded to 6.11.

• Like 1

The new version separated my Business and Personal notes. All ok on the personal side. Now, on the business side, my tag structure was completely removed (all tags are now on the same level).

Is this supposed to happen? Do we now have to maintain two separate structures?

jspicker    0

I can only second many of the comments here. Evernote user since 2008 (I believe), Premium, this is the most unstable version ever. Crashing (evernote itself + the whole macbook every night), Memory goes up to several GB, constantly syncing, notes not showing (instead another spinning wheel), display not updating, .... please please issue a fix ASAP. I am seriously considering changing to OneNote or sth else.

Hi, I'm finding the new tables very frustrating when moving between different screen sizes. 

For example, at home I work off a 27" Monitor plugged into my Mac. I created a table on this screen and set it to 'match note width'.  When I opened the same note on my laptop screen today I now need to scroll from left to right to see all of the content in the table.

Can 'match note width' rather set to 100% width of the current note size? 

Oh and also, using --- no longer sets a line across the table. Using code blocks and --- were some of my fav features of Evernote tables and they are broken now. 

PBGBob    0

How can I get the Notebook view back to multiple columns?

Having to scroll through a single vertical list is not efficient. I use Evernote due to it being efficient, this is a huge step backward.