Font Control Should Be Available On All Devices

Daigled

Idea

I was using Evernot a lot on several difference devices until I noticed some inconsistancies between devices. Mainly the lack of font control on the IOS devices, specifically IPad and IPhone ( I don't have an android device so I don't know if this applies there as well). I'm not asking for a lot of font/paragragh control. I'd settle for being able to change the font, font size and font color, although actual paragraph control would be a nice to have. 

This functionality is especially necessary when copying and pasting text from web pages into Evernote, or formated text from other programs. I would like to be able to select all the copied text and convert it to all the same font and color or size of my choosing. This makes reading my notes much easier. Also there are times when the default text is too small to read on IOS devises and I would like to make it bigger.  I can't do this with the IPad or IPhone version only the desktop. As a user I don't understand why this functionalty isn't already in the app, it exists on the destop, it exists in other IOS applications so I have to believe it is possible. Other posts regarding this issue suggest first copying and pasting text into a text only application, which defeats the entire point of Evernote if I have to use multiple programs to make a simple text change. Other posts have also noted that this comment box contains more text functionaly than exsists in the IOS applications, which to a user seems really really odd.

If you have no plans to add this functionality to the application could you supply the reasoning why something so common can not be implemented in Evernote. If we can't have a feature it might help the annoyance factor to understand why. Evernote has stopped being my go to resourse on IOS devices for this reason, and thats a shame as its a good program. 

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Long story short,  the various Android / Windows / Mac and iOS devices were developed some years ago when the various operating systems weren't capable of much in the way of text style anyway.  The individual teams which developed the various apps for those systems were simply told to get the best they could out of their respective devices.  So Evernote  was four separate apps with different internal structures.  One 'simple' change would require four completely separate solutions.  (Actually 'four' is a simplification - Windows comes in various flavours,  as does MacOS and Android...)

Evernote have been working for some time to create a new common editor structure that will allow them to bring in new features.  They're getting there.

@gazumped

Your answer makes no sense. The apps are already 4 separate solutions, that is in no way a barrier to adding font selection.

Yeah, adding a new feature will require adding it into all 4 clients... that’s just how these things work, it’s the nature of software development. It also doesn’t mean that this small feature will even require much effort from each individual team. Waiting to add a feature this small until you have finished some monstrous project to create a cross-platform “editor structure” makes no sense.

There should be more font selection. The font on Evernote ios is so plain and blah! Need a refresh to compete with other better visual note taking apps cough Bear  cough cough 

• Level 5*
On 6/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, Mat B. said:

@gazumped

Your answer makes no sense. The apps are already 4 separate solutions, that is in no way a barrier to adding font selection.

Yeah, adding a new feature will require adding it into all 4 clients... that’s just how these things work, it’s the nature of software development. It also doesn’t mean that this small feature will even require much effort from each individual team. Waiting to add a feature this small until you have finished some monstrous project to create a cross-platform “editor structure” makes no sense.

Er,  your belated objection to my 12-month old comment is noted,  but Evernote have since delivered the common editor code to all platforms (AFAIK) so you're also right - only one update should now be necessary. 

Archived