Export list of notes to Excel

Alagalah

Idea

Evernote Version 6.9.1

OSX: 10.11.6

I have a shortcut that outputs a list of notes with following columns: title, tags, created.

I need to create a report based on this information. Excel/GoogleSheets appears to be best way of producing this report, hence I need THIS list of notes, output to Excel/CSV with just the fields above.

I tried getting a developer token and writing to the SDK / API, but this ended up opening its own can of worms.

Since Evernote doesn't seem to have any reporting capabilities (plugin/addon suggestions welcome), or suggestions of the sort "select All, Ctrl-C/V" only appear to work on the Windows client, is this something anyone has found a way of doing?

3 replies to this idea

The shortcut is a standard Evernote shortcut. 

Ie notes in notebook1 with any of tags [a1, a2, a3].  For that list of notes I want to report on tags [b1, b2...]

Creating a list of notes of b1 is not useful as I'm back to reporing on a1 etc. Same problem. 

Do you have an example of how applescript can help pull this information out of Evernote into either plain text or CSV?

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-02 at 11:04 AM, Alagalah said:

Do you have an example of how applescript can help pull this information out of Evernote into either plain text or CSV?

Here's something I whipped up
I'm not used to writing to files, so I just used the shell echo command; the proper method is to open the file and use a write statement
You will need to modify the search criteria, I just used tag:!Journal

--set theOpenedFile to open for access (path to desktop as text) & "my file.txt" with write permission

-- Get Notes and Process

tell application "Evernote"

set theNotes to find notes ("tag:!Journal")

repeat with theNote in theNotes

set theTitle to title of theNote as string

set theDate to creation date of theNote

set theTags to tags of theNote

-- Reformat tag list            

set theTagcsv to ""

repeat with theTag in theTags

set theTagcsv to theTagcsv & name of theTag & ", "

end repeat

set theText to theTitle & ", " & theTagcsv & theDate & return

--write theText to theOpenedFile starting at eof

do shell script "echo " & quoted form of theText & " >> ~/Desktop/my_file.txt"

end repeat

--close access theOpenedFile

end tell

Archived