password character restrictions? seriously?

Hello folks,

my first post here, so hello together ;)

Today I tried to change my password. But I failed trying. The german help text says

"Ein schwierig zu entschlüsselndes Passwort enthält mindestens acht Zeichen: Groß- und Kleinbuchstaben, Ziffern und Symbole.

plain translation - I -should- use at least 8 characters, small or capital letters, numbers or symbols . So there is no hint, that I couldn't use special characters. But in fact, I couldn't use either " oder § oder german umlauts like ä,ö,ü,ß. This is a security issue I won't accept. There is no valid argument to not accept those symbols, It's just a sign for lazy implementation and unprofessional behaviour and not acceptable for security matters. So please fix that asap :)

kind regards,

a random dude

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'd imagine that fixes to the security of any app have to go through lots of committees to ensure that they're not inadvertently making things less secure by recoding the process.  "ASAP" might take a little while.  Please bear with Evernote in the meantime...

Yeah true story..Though I would argue that security issues, or lacks of security -should- always progress on high priority and there should be standard change plans for easy and harmless changes that don't require lot's of decisions. ;) Maybe they will read this and remember it in any of their discussions...

Archived