(Archived) Snapshot in portrait mode?

phillias

It looks like there is no option for taking a snapshot in portrait mode, only landscape. When trying to snapshot an 8 1/2 x 11 document the snapshot has to be taken from further away, reducing the clarity and accuracy of the OCR.

Is there a hidden portrait mode? If not, how hard would it be to make that available in a next release?

The issue is that your device is creating a JPEG image that "rotates" to portrait mode using a somewhat uncommon extension to the JPEG image standard (the EXIF rotation flags).

If you take that same picture without Evernote, save it on your Mac or PC and then open the image directly in your favorite web browser, you'll see the same behavior.

Since most browsers and operating systems don't look at this rotation extension, all of the image and web libraries that we use display the image without rotation.

This is on our list to improve in the future, but it's a bit of a hassle due to the number of platforms we support.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I think there may also be an issue with the Android client not recognising which way up the phone is pointed. The 'camera' icon shown in snapshot mode stays firmly nailed to 'portrait' orientation, whatever way the phone is turned.

• 2 months later...

I saw the response from engberg, and understand the issue. As an alternate solution to this problem, image rotation on the Web Client would also be useful (and indeed I have added a response on the thread which asks for this).

Archived