PDF displaying differently in Mac app and iOS app

I am seeing a new behavior with a pdf in Evernote and am unsure how to proceed. This morning I attempted to drag and drop a pdf file into a note, as I have done many times previously over the past few years. On the Mac app, it displays the pdf properly. However, on the iOS app, I do not see the text of the pdf, but rather see a link to download the pdf. All of the other pdfs I have added to notes over the past few years appear correctly--I see the text of the pdf.

I have deleted and tried this with the pdf multiple times, to no avail. Is there any reason why Evernote would handle this file differently in these two different contexts?

2 hours ago, MJT1999 said:

I am seeing a new behavior with a pdf in Evernote and am unsure how to proceed. This morning I attempted to drag and drop a pdf file into a note, as I have done many times previously over the past few years. On the Mac app, it displays the pdf properly. However, on the iOS app, I do not see the text of the pdf, but rather see a link to download the pdf. All of the other pdfs I have added to notes over the past few years appear correctly--I see the text of the pdf.

I have deleted and tried this with the pdf multiple times, to no avail. Is there any reason why Evernote would handle this file differently in these two different contexts?

Hey there @MJT1999,

When you tap on the link to the PDF attachment in the note in the iOS version of Evernote, it should be opening the PDF in its entirety.

0.jpg

Let me know if tapping the link does not open the PDF.

BSR: thanks for your note. I am aware that tapping on the icon will let me see the pdf. However, all my other pdfs display automatically: no pdf icon, no tapping, no extra steps. I can just see the text of the pdf without any additional steps. That's what I am trying to understand: why this pdf requires an intermediate step to view that the others don't. Thanks!

Hey everyone, 

Just wanted to give an update on this issue.

In Evernote for the desktop, you have the option to view PDF attachments inline in a note, which renders the entire PDF in the note body itself. In the iOS application, while images attached to notes are rendered within the body of the notes, PDF attachments are not rendered in the body of the note. 

The attachment in @MJT1999's note is actually an image file, not a PDF. Because the iOS Evernote application handles these attachments a little differently than the Mac application, you will not see the entire PDF in the note body in the iOS app. Instead, it will be displayed as an attachment that you have to tap to open the PDF. 

Archived