(Archived) How do I set up in Evernote Thunderbird as my email client?

Just signed up for the beta version. Very interesting...

When I click on Email, it attempts to use MS Outlook (opens a compose screen). I have it installed but don't use it - I want to use Thunderbird. Is there a way to set Thunderbird as my default email client?

Thanks,

Reuven

Edit: I meant "how do I set in Evernote to open my default email client (Thunderbird) instead of Outlook".

I wasn't clear I guess - Thunderbird is set as my default client and it works fine, except with Evernote: Evernote doesn't open my default, it opens MS Outlook instead... The solution has to be with Evernote settings.

Make sure Outlook isn't set up to yank the defaults away from Thunderbird. As far as I know, Evernote 3 beta uses the default client and does not have an email client setting.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help you, because it seems to work fine for me.

Do you use Outlook at all? If not, then perhaps try uninstalling Outlook.

Are you using XP or Vista?

I wasn't clear I guess - Thunderbird is set as my default client and it works fine, except with Evernote: Evernote doesn't open my default, it opens MS Outlook instead... The solution has to be with Evernote settings.

What are the versions of your OS and Thunderbird? Do you have the Firefox/Thunderbird clipper installed?

What are the versions of your OS and Thunderbird? Do you have the Firefox/Thunderbird clipper installed?

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium, Thunderbird version 2.0.0.12 (20080213). I do have the Clipper installed. I am using Firefox 2.0.0.12

You might want to check Internet Explorer's default email client settings just in case something is trying to use the IE engine even though your using FireFox.

Open IE

Tools

Internet Options

Programs

Change email setting to Thunderbird (if needed)

I have the same problem. But it seems it only happens on Vista. On my XP machine, Thunderbird is used as expected. Only on Vista it isn't.

my best guess: since the application file (Evernote.exe) does not have the manifest set with 'requestExecutionLevel' to 'asInvoker':

Without such a manifest, Vista will automatically redirect certain system calls.

I'll check the redirection entries and will try to add the manifest manually as soon as I get home and have access to a Vista machine.

Stefan

Strange, I'm using Vista 64 bit and I'm not having such troubles. Out of curiosity - are you using Internet Explorer 6 or 7?

IE7 uses whatever is set as the Windows default, and IE6 allows you to set custom programs for handling email and other stuff, as rocketranch has noted. If you're still using IE6, by the way, I highly recommend upgrading to IE7, even if your primary browser is a third party browser like Firefox.

Archived