Restore open windows at startup

Hello,

I have often a 6 or 7 notes opened in their own window. This makes working on multiple projects very easy for me.

But alas does Evernote not remember these opened windows when I have to quit it. Quitting Evernote can have several reasons: update via Mac AppStore, mac restart, log out/in, crash.

I think that it cannot be much work to implement this feature into the Evernote desktop clients. See it as reopening tabs like web browsers do after a restart.

It is very annoying having to lookup the notes through 100s of them and reopen only these 7 notes as separate windows again, after a restart of Evernote.

When can you have this ready?

- -

Thanks!

Marc Vos

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 13.31.35.png

• Level 5*

I'm not an EN employee, but I think the answer would be that they've noted the request but can't provide a delivery date at this time.

Have you thought about creating a shortcut link.  
You can do this inside Evernote in the shortcut section, or outside Evernote  as a link on your desktop.

I have this on my Mac desktop with a customized icon.
I keep my daily Journal/Planner note opened as a separate window on my second monitor.

The shortcut section is a good idea - it's a section I simply always overlook because it's at the top of the sidebar and that top is always off the screen because I have so many stacks with so many notebooks visible all the time.

Thanks for the hint!

• Level 5*

Try going to View - Shortcuts and check Show in Toolbar, then your shortcuts will be across the top of the screen. 

Also, if it is the same 7 notes all the time, consider creating a table of contents note containing them, put that note in the shortcuts bar, and then hold the Shift key when you click on the links in the TOC note and each will open in its own window.

On the Mac, that option is unavailable. Also not available in 'Customize toolbar...'.

These notes are the same ones for maybe a day or a week or two weeks, but never all 7. Might be just 3 or 5 or...

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 17.06.42.png

4 hours ago, macvos said:

Hello,

I have often a 6 or 7 notes opened in their own window. This makes working on multiple projects very easy for me...

Hi, nice synchro.

Using windows is the closest way to working with tabs that I just requested again.

But most of the time using tabs is uber more easier & comfortable.

I think evernote guys need to "take note" hehe of these important wishes.

Cheers!

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, macvos said:

These notes are the same ones for maybe a day or a week or two weeks, but never all 7. Might be just 3 or 5 or...

I have a tag called !Hot Notes that I use to flag notes I need quick access to.
This tag is in my shortcut area.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, macvos said:

On the Mac, that option is unavailable. Also not available in 'Customize toolbar...'.

A shame about the difference in functionality, but a small plus for the dark side  ;)

Tabs as in web browsers (not like in notebooks like MS or CircusPonies) are only partly ok. Only when one also can have a vertical or horizontal split view (like in Sublime Text 2 and 3) and have two different notes next to each other. That is, for example, why I use Fluid (fluidapp.com) which has two browsa' panels left and right of the main web page - I see 3 sites in one window vertically side-by-side.

Currently, with each note in its own window, I use Divvy (mizage.com) to organize the note windows across my 27-inch iMac screen. This is very handy because tasks often have an impact on parallel activities and when I see the notes of these activities next to each-other, I can update each one very quick whenever a task is done and at the same time still have an overview on both activities.

21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I have a tag called !Hot Notes that I use to flag notes I need quick access to.
This tag is in my shortcut area.

Ah, that's a good one ... I already have a lot of custom searches based on tags with which I quickly find all open activities for a project. I have these in the 'Saved searches' section of the drop-down menu when you click in the 'search'-input field in the toolbar. Yeah, I'll take this and create new search with tags like 'Open', 'Projects' '!Current' or so.

Thanks for the wake-up :-)

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 18.10.25.png

Ah, that's a good one ... I already have a lot of custom searches based on tags with which I quickly find all open activities for a project. I have these in the 'Saved searches' section of the drop-down menu when you click in the 'search'-input field in the toolbar. Yeah, I'll take this and create new search with tags like 'Open', 'Projects' '!Current' or so.

Thanks for the wake-up :-)

If that's good for you & so badly need all worked notes always in view - just sort them by "updated" value.

On re/start the last opened will be always on top ready & waiting.

No tagging & other actions necessary.

Still, using windows is too clumsy for me lol

36 minutes ago, sarex said:

If that's good for you & so badly need all worked notes always in view - just sort them by "updated" value.

On re/start the last opened will be always on top ready & waiting.

No tagging & other actions necessary.

Still, using windows is too clumsy for me lol

Well, that's an assumption. I have Evernote running on 5 devices and use it differently on all 5 and it is not said the notes I have open are all being updated.

So, I'll use a smart tag anyhow, whether the 'please save the state of all open windows | add tabbed-windows like web browsers'-requests will be honoured or not.

Well, that's an assumption. I have Evernote running on 5 devices and use it differently on all 5 and it is not said the notes I have open are all being updated.

Hardly assumption coz you've written "only these 7 notes".

Not seven on every device

Also "assuming" that you are not working on several absolutely different projects with 7 notes each on every device - thats better than fact hehe

Even if some other temporary notes pop up above, the important won't go much lower & still be in plain view.

38 minutes ago, sarex said:

Hardly assumption coz you've written "only these 7 notes".

Not seven on every device

Also "assuming" that you are not working on several absolutely different projects with 7 notes each on every device - thats better than fact hehe

Even if some other temporary notes pop up above, the important won't go much lower & still be in plain view.

Ok, ok, I meant 'only the notes I had open previously' ... ;-)

Archived