Evernote constantly creating new attachments

Hello! I've ran into a problem that I just noticed.

So I like to save all my PDF's  and videos as attachment (that I need for school). I've previously noticed that when I've done some changes to my PDF:s and after that when I saved them that evernote has discarded my changes when I open them again. I've also noticed that when I open these attachments (even after closing) Evernote likes to add [1], [2], [3].. continuing after opening the files again. The same happens with videos even though I'm not saving them. Every time I open the video from my evernote-note, it creates new copy of itself. Picture in attachment (for both scenarios).

This is a problem for me firstly because I don't want many different copies of the same file, because I lose the editing (I need to go search the files from the attachment folder and not the notes and when I save again I get different attachment and it is hard to keep track) and secondly because it is needlessly taking disc space away from me. This attachment-problem seems to happen with almost all the other file types except word-files (docx for example).

Have you noticed this problem? What is causing it? Is there going to be a fix available. I'm currently Evernote Plus user so I can get more space for my attachments. That is also why it is frustrating that those attachments don't work properly. Just to make clear: I'm saving all attachments as attachments, not inline or anything like that (I'm not planning to since I'm using different programs to manage the PDF's, .sav documents and stuff like that (that keep bugging).

I really hope there is going to be a fix soon for this.

Best Regards

Amir Bardo

post-274095-0-78354600-1446041097_thumb.

post-274095-0-61573200-1446041418_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you open a file from an Evernote note attachment in Windows,  Evernote recreates the file from the database in the Attachments folder.  Most windows apps use temporary files and other tricks to save temporary changes,  and only save the completely revised contents back to the original file when the user closes the application.  Some apps have individual options or defaults to save version copies of the original file back to the same location,  so you'd see <filename>1, <filename>2 etc in a list.  Remember it's only the file with exactly the same name as the attachment  that is going to get updated in the note.

You should be able to avoid the issue in Evernote in a couple of ways.  Either check the Save window carefully to make sure you're saving to the same name and the correct folder (and don't use Save As!) or deliberately open the file and Save As to your desktop as a visual reminder that you need to replace the attachment in your existing note with the new version. 

In normal circumstances you can clear the Attachments folder from time to time - although be careful if you might have unsaved updated files in there.

Alternatively:  every edit you complete eats into your upload allowance - the whole file has to be re-saved,  even if you just added a ".":  Why not work with a Dropbox (or other Cloud storage) folder structure,  and link from Evernote to the stored file?

Hi.  If you open a file from an Evernote note attachment in Windows,  Evernote recreates the file from the database in the Attachments folder.  Most windows apps use temporary files and other tricks to save temporary changes,  and only save the completely revised contents back to the original file when the user closes the application.  Some apps have individual options or defaults to save version copies of the original file back to the same location,  so you'd see <filename>1, <filename>2 etc in a list.  Remember it's only the file with exactly the same name as the attachment  that is going to get updated in the note.

You should be able to avoid the issue in Evernote in a couple of ways.  Either check the Save window carefully to make sure you're saving to the same name and the correct folder (and don't use Save As!) or deliberately open the file and Save As to your desktop as a visual reminder that you need to replace the attachment in your existing note with the new version. 

In normal circumstances you can clear the Attachments folder from time to time - although be careful if you might have unsaved updated files in there.

Alternatively:  every edit you complete eats into your upload allowance - the whole file has to be re-saved,  even if you just added a ".":  Why not work with a Dropbox (or other Cloud storage) folder structure,  and link from Evernote to the stored file?

Hello! I love using evernote as the place for attachments since it is easy to access them from multiple computers. Using cloud would make it harder since every day I need to save at least 3 pdf attachments.

So

1. how do I make sure that I can get the file updated to the Evernote database? Which attachment file it is which is going to get updated to the database, since it always creates a new file after I open it? 

2. Could I operate in a way that it uses the attachment folder as a place where it links those files? Why not make evernote sync in a way that it downloads attachments to attachment folder and uses those as a link? This way evernote wouldn't have to always constantly make new attachments. Also opening files would be easier don't you think?

3. why not use save as and use save? always when I open attachment in evernote it is creating new index [1], [2].. by using save as would be the only way to replace the original file. or is it saving the currently operating file to the database. if it is then why would I need to make sure it doesn't have index on it? i'm kind of confused

I hope there will be answers to these questions, since I love evernote and the attachment-operation (to me) seems (to use bad words) fucked up. Thanks for the answer so far.

Best Regards

Amir Bardo

• Level 5*

To answer your questions -

1. To ensure that the saved file is attached to your note,  especially since your system seems to be creating new file names for each version,  your best bet is to save the files to your computer desktop and then manually add them to the correct note.  You could drag and drop the file to your desktop to open,  and drag and drop it back to attach.
  2. That's not the way the Attachments folder works and there's no access to change - see my post above.
  3. You can't use Save because your computer opens files and creates a new file name.  Evernote doesn't recognise the new name as replacing the original file.  That's not something which Evernote control - it's down to the settings on your computer.
  4. Why does save work with Doc and not other file types?  -See (3) above!

If you can find out why your computer assigns a new name to the files you open (apart from DOC files),  you could fix that and just use Save.

Ok, thank you.

I'm using Windows 10 x64 Professional. If anybody knows why my windows is constantly making new files and saving them in Evernote attachment folder I would love to hear the answer. I don't have many customised settings, especially not for this type of work.

And gazu, I see what you mean since when I drag&drop the Attachment - the file name is normal.

Hi! I still think this is an evernote problem. I imported my notes to Microsoft OneNote and opened the attachments in there. The attachment first opens normally and then when I try to open it again, it doesn't make a new copy of itself (which happens in evernote). Rather it says "the application is open in another program". Same thing happens when I try to open from desktop. I also synced the file from OneNote to another computer and it works as smoothly as ever. Only Evernote is making the copies. So I kind of fixed the problem by using OneNote. Hopefully you will also deal with this problem.

Best Regards

Amir Bardo

Archived