(Evernote Developers Please Read) Evernote.app corrupts itself after Yosemite update

Today I encountered an odd problem, I installed the latest OS X 10.10.5 update and rebooted my Mac. After the update I noticed a strange blank icon in my dock, "Evernote", shortly after, it closed. I tried to open the app manually and the app just immediately crashed.

The logs showed me the following:

Evernote[880]: Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exitingcom.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.evernote.Evernote.42064[880]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

I googled the issue and ended up at a year old thread, https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/76036-latest-evernote-on-latest-yosemite-10101-wont-start/

It looks like this issue still exists almost a year later. The fix right now, is to simply delete Evernote.app and download the fresh DMG from the Evernote website. As far as I understand, it's most likely because the Evernote updater attempts to replace Evernote.app during the "Completing Installation" phase (I heard Skype start, so I'm sure Evernote did too).

Could a developer please look into this? I believe that the correct fix is to ask for permission to update on boot, rather than doing it silently in the background (and risk the update failing, e.g. when "completing installation" finishes)

• Level 5*

There is no guarantee that an Evernote developer will read your post.  This is a user-supported forum.

If you want to make sure your issue is officially received by Evernote, then you should submit a bug report.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

Archived