Does the enex file size indicate the amount of uploading data storage I need?

I have been using evernote for a month or so. In this time, I managed to refer a friend and so I got 10GB. This gave me the freedom to test every scenario to find a possible sweet spot on how evernote can fit in my life. I have added and deleted a lot of stuff, stuff that I don't need in evernote, so the usage indicator in the evernote info page is not a real measuring device to see how much data I need in coming months - in turn I am not sure whether I need 1GB a month or 10GB (I want to get the yearly deal)

My question is, if I export all the data that I know represents a months worth, in an .enex file. Would that file's size be the correct indicator of how much space i need in evernote? For example, say my enex file is 1GB big, does that mean that if I have a plus account (1GB per month), and export that enex file, everything would fit fine in evernote, or is the enex file compressed and thus I'd ne x times more storage space

• Level 5*

Hi.  Why not start with Plus and see how your 'real' usage goes.  Make sure you have the 'usage' meter on your desktop toolbar,  or check it regularly on any mobile devices you use,  so you don't go over your monthly 1GB limit.   (You wouldn't like what happens - think human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together...  it's not good.)

If you start to get close - 900MB or so used - then think about using a Local Notebook if that's practical (requires a desktop setup).  Those notes are unsynced,  so don't affect your total allowance at all.  You can stash some notes there temporarily and move them into synced notebooks after the monthly limit resets.  I say do this at 900MB because editing existing notes means re-uploading some or all of the content so edits do affect your usage.

- Which is why I say try things out because Finagle's First and Second Laws of Evernote computing are:

1. Once you start noting and clipping you'll use Evernote for more and more,  and
  2. You never know how much editing you'll want to do in the first few months of use.

Good luck with all of that and if you need any more suggestions on anything to do with noting stuff - we're here most days...  B)

Edit:  (See what I mean about editing?)  And.  At any stage if you decide that 1GB just doesn't cut it,  you can upgrade instantly from within the app on any device.

Thanks @gazumped. That's what I'll end up doing. But when I started thinking about the enex file, I then really wanted to know the answer more out of curiosity than anything else. 

I still would love to know if, in theory the enex file size is a sum total of the notes it holds, or whether it is a compressed version

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  ENEX is an XML format,  so it will have some relation to your database file size,  but there could be differences - don't know how they code/ compress images forinstance..  you might do better getting a definitive response with a tweet to @EvernoteHelps...

• Level 5*

I still would love to know if, in theory the enex file size is a sum total of the notes it holds, or whether it is a compressed version

Since the ENEX file is a text file, I would expect to be larger than the storage on the EN cloud.

Perhaps a better test is to export to ENEX a complete Notebook, and then compare the ENEX file size to the size reported by Evernote in the Note list "size" column.

Perhaps a better test is to export to ENEX a complete Notebook, and then compare the ENEX file size to the size reported by Evernote in the Note list "size" column.

There it is, that's good. I didn't know that existed (you can see the size of the note, not of the notebook, right?)

Thanks Michael

Archived