Evernote level3 piering, connectivity issues

Sorry for posting in this forum, I looked at all the others, and could not find one that was close to this issue.

For a while now, being on Comcast, and my area, I generally pass through San Jose POP's and hit at least 2, sometimes 3-4 nodes that are controlled by Level3.  For over a year, I have had 80% packet loss at times on the level3 San Jose and Frankfurt locations.

I just did a quick lookup on where Evernote's data is at, and the forums are at a different location, but I believe, the app talks back to:

They have a pretty large CIDR range, I am surprised they were allocated that much IP space, are you guys doing your own BGP as well, or are you simply co-located and it looks like this is your range?

NetRange:       204.154.94.0 - 204.154.95.255

CIDR:           204.154.94.0/23
NetName:        EVERNOTE-US-01

I don't think it is colocation, as the second to last hop is named EVERNOTE-CO.edge1.SanJose3.Level3.net

Since I am a lowly user, and Comcast says to contact Level3, and Level3 says to contact Comcast, all because I believe they are trying to prove a point with slowing Netflix down, at any rate, level3 is having issue, has been having issue, and perhaps this could be the reason some are reporting corruption and sync issues even though their internet seems to work fine. Large files and speed tests are fine, but anything UDP, has issues, forcing TCP in my traces and mtr reports and things change. A web page with 100 small little files and resources will take ages to load, but I will get 80b/s on a speed test or pulling a large file down from someone that passes through Level3.

Perhaps with how close Evernote is to Level3, it looks like they have a direct assignment or possibly a peering agreement with them, then they could rightfully open the ticket.  Especially as this can easily cause corruption.  I have been running a packet loss capture for 4 minutes now, and here are my results:
These are the last 3, the only ones with any packet loss:
Host                                                  Loss%   Snt   Last  Avg   Best  Worst   StDev
10. ae-4-90.edge1.SanJose3.Level3.net                 61.9%   986   14.7  18.7  9.2   108.8  12.0
11. EVERNOTE-CO.edge1.SanJose3.Level3.net             0.1%    986   14.0  18.7  11.6  93.3   8.3
12. evernote.com                                      0.0%    986   15.9  17.1  9.5   74.9   4.7

If I let it run, it will average out around 80% to 85% packet loss. Is this something Evernote can file a ticket with Level3 at, because if I were in Evernotes position, paying for bandwidth, i would not be happy.  I am a Premium Paying member, and am paying for bandwidth too, so I also am being hit with poor service routes.  Though I understand it is not Evernotes issue, but Level3's, Evernote will have to notify them to solve it.

Thanks for any info you can give on this situation. With Comcast, I don't always go through Level3, though most of the time I do.  However, all of us must pass through Level3 as that is Evernotes endpoint, and is controlled by them.  In other words, anyone with a terminal that can run mtr or traceroute or even pings, and set them to use TCP is possible, but UDP shows it well enough with such small packets, and see this for themselves.

I actually would be curious to see even a simple ping log that doesn't fluctuate from 15ms to 1200+ every few seconds.

Archived