(Archived) How to Use Saved Searches With Notebooks

Back to my confusion about notebooks. Is it possible to look at the results of a saved search for a particular notebook? e.g., I have a notebook called books, and a saved search filtered on notes created since today. How do I go about finding those notes in Books that were created since today?

I notice that although the tags grey out if they don't apply to a particular notebook, the saved searches don't.

Am I missing something? Is this something that will be fleshed out later? :)

Back to my confusion about notebooks. Is it possible to look at the results of a saved search for a particular notebook? e.g., I have a notebook called books, and a saved search filtered on notes created since today. How do I go about finding those notes in Books that were created since today?

I notice that although the tags grey out if they don't apply to a particular notebook, the saved searches don't.

Yes, I think you are missing something. If you look at the expanded capabilities in the Advanced Search section of the on-line Help, you will see that there is a new "notebook:" keyword. So if you wanted to create a saved search that only looks within your "books" notebook and not in any of your other notebooks, you would construct a new saved search

any: notebook:books "William Shakespeare" "Larry Niven" "Stephen Hawking"

to look for notes in the notebook "books" with the strings "William Shakespeare" or "Larry Niven" or "Stephen Hawking"

If you are feeling exceptionally clever, I think you can even make a saved search that looks only within the contents of several (more than one) specified notebooks, but not all notebooks, using multiple "notebook:" keywords. I haven't tested that yet (so many ideas, so little time...).

Yes, I have been busily re-writing a bunch of my saved searches using all the nifty new EverNote Beta 3.0 search keywords. You can even search for words only in the note's title using the new "title:" keyword. And other tasty stuff (but I'll let you RTFM on your own...). :)

There will be attribute search implemented soon, that you will be able to "intersect" with currently selected notebook and tags.

Saved searches are different beasts: they denote the entire "search state", i.e. clicking on the saved search should (in theory, as this is not fully implemented yet) reset all your search state (reset the notebook, the tag selection, the attribute selection).

Additionally, we have a little trick here: if you select the saved search, then Ctrl+clicking on a notebook will just apply the search to that notebook (i.e. dynamically change the "notebook:" parameter of the query).

Yes, I think you are missing something. If you look at the expanded capabilities in the Advanced Search section of the on-line Help, you will see that there is a new "notebook:" keyword. So if you wanted to create a saved search that only looks within your "books" notebook and not in any of your other notebooks, you would construct a new saved search

any: notebook:books "William Shakespeare" "Larry Niven" "Stephen Hawking"

to look for notes in the notebook "books" with the strings "William Shakespeare" or "Larry Niven" or "Stephen Hawking"

Very cool. Thanks. I'll admit to skimming the help. Heh.

Additionally, we have a little trick here: if you select the saved search, then Ctrl+clicking on a notebook will just apply the search to that notebook (i.e. dynamically change the "notebook:" parameter of the query).

I like this idea.

I'd like the tags that don't apply to a selected notebook to disappear (not just grey out). ALL tags should only be visible only when ALL NOTEBOOKS are being viewed. When I am in my Culinary notebook, why would I want to see my Technology tags? (Or at least make this behavior toggle-able.)

Archived