backing up local notebooks

I have a lot of important information in Local Notebooks. I need to make sure they are backed up and are able to be restored. I have been looking for the data. I found what looks like a ton of files in session folders buried under user/library/application support/com.evernote.Evernote but I can't find any of the local notebook files. Are they buried somewhere in there? What do I backup to preserve local notebooks notes? How would I recover them and merge them with the synced data that resides up at Evernote?

• Level 5*

Windows answer.  You can backup the notes in your local notebooks using the Export Notes function.  Right click on the notebook and select Export Notes, making sure that tags is checked on the options page.  The ENEX file that is created can later be imported into your data base.  The notes will be placed in a notebook named Imported Notes.  You can rename the notebook or move the notes if you like once the import is completed.  This process is good for saving notes, but any note links will be lost, if you use them.

You can also search the forum for backup, there are quite a few posts discussing this topic.

• Level 5*

I have a lot of important information in Local Notebooks. I need to make sure they are backed up and are able to be restored. I have been looking for the data. I found what looks like a ton of files in session folders buried under user/library/application support/com.evernote.Evernote but I can't find any of the local notebook files. Are they buried somewhere in there? What do I backup to preserve local notebooks notes? How would I recover them and merge them with the synced data that resides up at Evernote?

Based on your statement "folders buried under user/library/application support/com.evernote.Evernote", I would conclude that you are on a Mac running EN Mac.

You really can't separate out the Local NB in you local storage (Finder).  So you will need some other approach to backup the Local NB.  In fact, other than exporting to ENEX files (or HTML files) on a NB by NB basis (as suggested by @csihilling), I don't know of any way of just backing up Local NBs on either Mac or Windows.

Of course, on a Mac, Time Machine is your primary backup system.  So I'd suggest that you setup TM to backup the Evernote folder.  This will be for ALL NBs, not just Local NBs.  It is best to use an external drive for your TM backups, so that if your Mac drive fails, you can recover from the external drive.  A great and economical system I use is the Synology NAS. (Network Attached Storage).

If the Notes in your Local NBs are very important, then you might want to occasionally export to HTML so that they are readable by other apps/systems.

Finally, CrashPlan is a great online backup for you local files in the advent of a catastrophic event (total loss).

For more info, see:

See Evernote Backup and Restore Options

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Archived