Lost Notebooks

So, I have read over the "lost notebooks" threads, but don't see the answer I am looking for. 

I inadvertently deleted 41 notebooks from my 2014-2015 stack, BUT, I have not synched Evernote on my desktop yet, and I can still see the notebooks on my laptop.

What can I do so that I can retain the "pre-delete" data? I don't care if I lose my most recent additions.

THANKS!

• Level 5*

You could tag the notes in each of the 41 notebooks with the name of the notebook and then copy all those notes into one new notebook preserving dates and tags.  Then after you sync you will be able to recreate the notebooks if you like.  I think this has the fewest moving pieces, other than the fact you have 41 notebooks with which to deal.

If a free user, this could impact your upload limit.  If that's a concern you could make the new notebook a local notebook and move the notes to sync notebooks across time.  Others may have better ways.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

The first thing you need to do immediately is

1. Disconnect your computer from the Internet to prevent syncing.
  2. Backup the Evernote folder on your computer to a secure location outside of its current location.

While you could export to ENEX files, I think the simplest thing is to

1. create a Local Notebook on your PC/Mac for each Notebook that was deleted.
    1. You could use a NB naming convention of <Sync NB Name>_L, so if you had a sync'd NB named "Personal" that was deleted, then the Local NB would be "Personal_L 
  2. Record the Note count for each of the "deleted" NBs (maybe a screen shot)
  3. Move all of the Notes in each "deleted" NB to the corresponding Local NB
    1. This will, in effect, create new Notes in the Local NBs with new GUID
    2. This means that all Note links to these Notes will be lost 
  4. Carefully verify that all of your Notes have been properly moved.  Compare counts, etc.
  5. If everything looks OK, reconnect to the Internet, and sync.
  6. Now all of the "deleted" NBs will be deleted from your PC/Mac.  Verify this.
  7. Re-create the sync'd NBs, and put one test Note in each.
  8. Sync.
  9. Verify that all of the re-created NBs have been sync'd by viewing them using the EN Web client at Evernote.com.
  10. Now, back on your PC/Mac, move the Notes back from the Local NBs to their corresponding sync'd NB
  11. Sync, and verify again using the EN Web Client

Review this carefully, and ask any questions before you start this process.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I inadvertently deleted 41 notebooks from my 2014-2015 stack, BUT, I have not synched Evernote on my desktop yet, and I can still see the notebooks on my laptop.

What can I do so that I can retain the "pre-delete" data? I don't care if I lose my most recent additions.

Archived