Unwanted list columns

Hi, I am new to Evernote and am considering upgrading. I have tried to copy some of my work from Apple Notes into Evernote and it has worked well except for this issue. My text in Apple

notes flows down the page like what html coding looks like, which means it is indented at various levels due to a nesting structure. The good thing here is that Evernote works like Apple notes by retaining the textual formatting, illustrations and links, without removing these and simplifying and aligning all text to the left as a lot of other applications unfortunately do, including Word, OneNote, etc. But I have noticed however that Evernote forces some of the listed items in my work into columns of two of three, where I would prefer it to remain in one single column. Why does this happen and how could it be prevented from happening? Thank you for any advice.

• Level 5*

Hi.  A standard note is always a single column unless some additional external formatting affects the layout.  Unfortunately there have been plenty of comments that Evernote tends to change the content of coding if it's saved direct - indents and spacings being changed forinstance.  The usual workaround is to save your work in a compliant notepad of choice and attach the document file to a note.  Not sure what's happening here - can you share any screenshots to help us comment?

• Level 5*

But I have noticed however that Evernote forces some of the listed items in my work into columns of two of three, where I would prefer it to remain in one single column. Why does this happen and how could it be prevented from happening? Thank you for any advice.

The most likely reason the Note Contents would appear in multiple columns is HTML formatting in the source text that was copied/clipped.

You can try Format > Simplify Formatting in the Note.  This often will remove strange, undesired formatting.

Hi, thankyou for your reply. I have attached two screenshots so far. The first shows how my work looks in Evernote. As you can see it has been forced to the left to make room for the unwanted extra columns in the bulleted list section. In the second you can see how it even forms up to three columns.

post-262746-0-91400900-1436219455_thumb.

post-262746-0-26052000-1436219466_thumb.

• Level 5*

Looks like the conversion from one format to another is really not working well.  You say you're 'copying' the content,  and I jumped to the conclusion that these were copy/ paste between apps - is that how you're working?  Do you have any options to export your original notes to PDF,  HTML or RTF?  You may have better success exporting to and moving files into Evernote if that's not what you're doing...

Archived