(Archived) How to use templates

I have set up templates for use in Evernote and would like to use them to create a new note. Right now I copy the template and then paste it into a new note but the tags don't come forward. Is ther a way to "Save As" and give the note a new name?

Thanks,

-d

You could Export a note with Tags on it to a local *.enex file, and then Import this to create another note with the same content, title, and tags.
OK I tried this an it works, however is there some way that I can control where the imported document winds up in Evernote and can I import multiple instances for the template? EN apparently imports to a folder called Imported Notes [x] and places one note per folder. This seems pretty awkward, I'd like to have the import wind up in the active file. Oh and by the way, how do I delete the Imported Notes [x] folders?

Thanks,

-d

When you import an .enex file, it will create a new notebook containing all of the notes from that Exported file. If you only Exported a single note, then it will create a notebook that just contains that one note.

You can drag the note from there to your desired notebook.

Then you can right-click on the Import notebook to delete it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Templates in Evernote 2.2 were Windows-specific hacks that wouldn't work everywhere else that you might access your notes. When we wrote the clients for the Evernote service, we didn't add this feature to those clients. We may add an equivalent functionality in the future, however, but in a portable way.

considering evernote stores formatting in html wouldnt html be a portable way to define template? would just need only but a few custom tags for things like todos

In fact what i have done is gone back to evernote version 3.1 (because htmls wont drag in 3.5) and used html files as templates that i drag n drop into evernote as i need them. Which is slower than a short cut key but works for the time being.

Yes, any future template implementation would leverage HTML.

The old "templates" included custom Windows code to perform calculations and do other computation, which couldn't be expressed with HTML in a portable and secure way, but we've discussed display-only templates that would just pre-fill the content of a note.

Thanks

Archived