Automate sorting notes from default notebook

Is there a way (and if there isn't could you please feed this into your new features requests queue) to automate sorting of notes that land up in the default notebook into other notebooks according to title, tags and content.

Please note that I am aware of the features of being able to put notebook names and tags in the subject line of an email and these are NOT suitable for my situation.   I am also aware of IFTTT but cannot find any recipies that do what I need to do.

At work I am working on anythign from 3 to 10 projects at a time.  Each project has a unique 6 digit code.  Whenever I send an email relating to a project I put the project code at the start of the subject line.  I am gradually training my co-workers to do the same.  In Outlook 2010, our corporate mail client, I have rules set up to put any mail with the project code in the subject line into a matching category, for mails from co-workers who don't yet put the project code in the subject line (now few in number) I manually add the category.  This means that if I want to find all the emails to do with, say, project 104985 I just have to filter by category to category 104985.  Now I'm using Evernote more I'd liek to set these rules to forward project emails to my Evernote email address.  Unfortunately Outlook doesn't support adding to subject lines when you forward with a rule so I can't specify the notebook name in the subject line.

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is set up a macro of some kind that will periodically scan through my default notebook and apply sorting rules to each item.  As a minimum simple rules like "If the title of a note contains the string '104985' then move it to the '104985 do the thing at the place' notebook" and the ability to set priority of rules (simple move up or down a list and execute in the order of the list, once a note has triggered a rule the rest of the rules aren't executed for that note).  Ideally also be able to call other rules from within a rule and have them execute so the above rule may call a rule that is something like "If any line in the body of the mail contains the strings 'From: *John Williams*' or 'To: *John Williams*' or 'CC: *John Williams*' (where * is, in common with many systems/applications, a wildcard for 0 or more characters) then add the tag 'Half a Job'".

• Level 5*

Hi.  I have an IFTTT recipe that moves any gmail with the word 'receipt' in the subject line to a specific Evernote notebook,  so I'd imagine that it could handle your project codes.  I appreciate that you're using Outlook,  but I think that you could create a rule to send emails containing specific project codes to Gmail from where IFTTT could assign them to folders.

Since Evernote also features saved searches,  you could also run a standard search (intitle:123456) using AHK or some such to move found notes to different folders.  (You'll need to work out how to exclude the project notebooks from the search before you copy and move - look at searching within Stacks.)

Some development and experimentation required,  but you should be able to get something going based on existing features.

• 1 year later...

Gazumped- If you could share the IFTTT recipe you have that does this, I would greatly appreciate it.  Ideally, I would like to just be able to forward messages from gmail and it know where to sort them based on keywords, but I will take whatever I can get!

Thanks,

Joe

• 7 months later...
On 02/07/2015 at 9:14 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I have an IFTTT recipe that moves any gmail with the word 'receipt' in the subject line to a specific Evernote notebook, 

Can anybody share an IFTTT recipe that moves an email (in my case Outlook) to a specific Evernote notebook based on text in the subject line?  I cannot seem to find this anywhere!

Archived