email sender id

Hi there,

Is there a deliberate attempt by Evernote team to discourage sharing notes by email.  The sender email ID on the notes I share by email is not my email id.  rather it is no-reply@evernote.com.

This puts my email at risk to be rejected as spam.

Funny how evernote adds/changes features at will without information.

regards
Mohan Dhingra

post-61174-0-98857100-1432064285_thumb.j

Change occurred over a year ago. Discussed at length at the time of the change here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/56720-most-unwelcome-changes-to-sharing-notes-by-email/

Justification seems to be that the prior strategy required spoofing your email address in order to display it in the "from" field, which tends to be more frequently rejected as spam, since spoofing email addresses is a common technique for spamming and phishing campaigns. To have Evernote send from your actual email address you'd have hand over your email credentials (and SMTP information) to Evernote, which is not wise from a security standpoint (in general those credentials are not things you want to hand out willy nilly to ANY third-parties), and may not work reliably with all email providers. I suspect Evernote was not interested in handling their user's fairly sensitive email information, nor dealing with the headaches of trying to support the issues that come up between email providers. Thus, to make it look like it came from your address, Evernote had to spoof, which is far from ideal. 

While no-reply@evernote.com is considerably less personal looking, and indeed also potentially subject to spam detection, it is less likely than a spoofed address to be rejected as spam. 

You should also know that your actual email (the one associated with your evernote account) will always be included as the "reply-to" address, and the name you've attached to your Evernote account will show up as the name of the sender (even though the address is no-reply@evernote.com). 

My understanding is that this is explicitly NOT a move to discourage sharing via email, rather it was done in the interest of increasing the odds that your emailed note ends up in the inbox of your recipient, not their spam box. 

Honestly, in my opinion, they've traded a less-than-ideal strategy or a slightly less less-than-ideal strategy, because the only way to actually, legitimately display your email address requires you handing over credentials you shouldn't hand over, or it requires sending via a desktop email client, which limits email sharing to instances where the user 1) has a desktop email client configured; and 2) is on the computer on which the client is configured. 

So, I agree, far from ideal, but I think the move, which took place a year ago, is reasonably justified given the status-quo was actually sketchier! 

Archived