Numbering notebooks faulty after number 10

Igor_e

Idea

I number my notebooks so that I can separate the subjects when viewing in the name tab, e.g. 1. admin, 2. clients, etc. I have now reached number 11. Test, but this gets slotted between 1. and 2. rather then after 10. where it should sit, any ideas on how can I correct this?

post-257870-0-94497600-1431754564_thumb.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I number my notebooks so that I can separate the subjects when viewing in the name tab, e.g. 1. admin, 2. clients, etc. I have now reached number 11. Test, but this gets slotted between 1. and 2. rather then after 10. where it should sit, any ideas on how can I correct this?

I see GM has solved your problem for now.

But if you plan to use this naming convention for all of your Notebooks, here are two issues that could occur in the future:

1. When you reach NB #100+, you will have the same sorting issue again.  So you would need to use 001, 002, 003, ... 100, 101  etc
  2. What happens if you want to insert a NB in the numbered list, or if you want to move a NB to a new position?
    1. To allow for this, you would need to allow for numbers between the ones you are using
    2. For example:  0010, 0020, 0030, ...
    3. Then you could add a 0015 if need be

Having said all that, I would ask you:  Are you really sure you want to number all, or even a lot, of your Notebooks?

Maybe it works for you, but for me after just a few of the top numbers, I would have to resort to scanning for the actual NB name (like "Jobs", "Library") anyway, so the numbering hasn't really helped me.

If you have a few NBs that you use a lot, you could just put them at the top of your Shortcuts list.

Whenever you want to select a Notebook to filter your Notes list, if you use the view "Jump to Notebook" (CMD-J on the Mac), as you start typing the Notebook name it shows a drop down list of possible matches.

You didn't ask for this, but as a "bonus" ;) , here are my recommendations on Notebook naming:

(feel free to ignore)

1. Don't number
  2. Keep the name as short as possible that will still indicate to you its contents
    1. For example:  Instead of "Family History", I'd use "FamHist"
  3. Never use spaces (makes it harder to search)
    1. You can either use CamelCase like I did above with "FamHist"

OR

2. Use a separator like a period (".") as in "Fam.Hist"
  4. For stacks,
    1. I'd just use a standard suffix, like ".S".  So I'd have "Projects.S"

OR

2. Put Stack name in all caps:  "PROJECTS"

Well, these are just all ideas that you can use, change, or ignore.  Hope it gives you some ideas that will work for you.

Archived