Sharing short URL's gone from the latest update of Skitch?

reesesp

Idea

i just updated my skitch to Version 2.7.7 (263991) and I don't see the option for sharing short URL's any more.

This is my most often used feature aside from screen shots, so would like to figure out if I am missing something, or if it can be brought back if it was.   

16 replies to this idea

I was just looking for new screen capturing tools because of the short link issue.  Figured I'd Google search my issue to see if I was missing an obvious setting and came across this thread.  I 100% will need to find another tool if this option isn't re-enabled or at the very least a IFTT type of solution is figured out.

URLBIN is a URL shortening service, a web service that provides short aliases for redirection of long URLs. The company Techprolite, Inc. was established in 2014. The system’s user interface takes the form of a dashboard, and supports social network integrations for Twitter, Face book, LinkedIn, Google+ and many.

Additional integrations are available via Addthis, including Instagram, MailChimp, Reddit, Storify, Tumblr, Vimeo and YouTube.

http//:urlb.in/ 

logo.png

I ended up building a Chrome extension that monitored my clipboard for Evernote share urls and if it found one would submit it to goo.gl and replace it with a shortened url. Right now its  just limited to our company but if people are interested I can clean it up and put it in the Chrome Web Store. 

There is no user who would ask for this feature to go away. If there is a security issue or something that could interfere with the integrity of the product, please share. If this is about promoting a consistent Evernote brand or experience, find a way to get a short link. It's not tenable to cut/paste 60 character URLs into an email, especially if you are using more than one and are using the links to simplify an explanation without including megabytes of images in the email. Taking features away or making them worse is not a very positive experience for anyone who was regularly using this feature. 

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there were some issues with the URL shortening.  The fix required that we move to the standard Evernote URL schema.  Sorry the news isn't better.

What about the current URLs are not working for you?

Thanks, 

P.J.

yeah - if you're listening out there Skitch, this was a key feature for me... will unfortunately switch to Monosnap now which is a shame as i was previously a Skitch evangelist. Please do let us know if there is a fix in the works, and hopefully Monosnap will just be a temporary solution. 

+1 for short urls return. I don't use Evernote as much as I used to, but I continue as a paying Premium subscriber primarily for Skitch + short urls. I use the short urls easily 25-50 times every day at work in emails, chats, everything. I would very much like to see a return of the feature in future releases.

@PeeJayTee Re: "What about the current URLs are not working for you?" I often have to include several links in an email as I make notes on several different pages of a design. Having super long 50+ character links all over the place just does not look professional. The short urls is just as crucial as the annotations itself. I spent the past hour reviewing other screengrab tools and would have happily paid money (and likely canceled Evernote Premium) if one had had short urls + annotations, but I didn't find one. Luckily, this thread gave me the idea to try and find an old version of Skitch and it was not very difficult, so here I am. 

If you would like to re-install v2.7.6 (with short urls option):

1) Delete your current version of Skitch (in /Applications)

2) Download v2.7.6 from https://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/skitch/mac/release/Skitch-2.7.6.zip

3) Copy to /Applications, start app, and configure short urls option in Skitch Preferences.

4) Enjoy.

Count me as a +1 for the return of short URLs. I use Skitch to capture screen shots for freelance work, and I need to include short URLs on my invoices. There's simply no way I can invoice a 50-character URL. I can always shorten the URL using a service like bit.ly, but 1) I can always use another service to capture and share screen caps, too, if Skitch is going to become more cumbersome, and 2) that certainly seems like the kind of thing Skitch/Evernote should be able to handle for me. 

I agree as well. This was one of the main reasons I got a premium subscription. In my job, I take about 40 screenshots a day and posting the shortened url in our work management system worked perfectly. Now, I'm having to use http://goo.gl/for EVERY screenshot. This is a step backwards and if it is permanent, our department will have to switch over to another tool.

Update: apparently google doesn't want to shorten evernote urls either (note the irony of this situation) - https://www.evernote.com/l/Ag0ZIGCt4pRDAKvp3wVI6s2LilNIAg06sOwB/image.png<<crazy long url

Gotta agree here with @reesesp. Often I work with flowing text where I link to screenshots and then the short URL is perfect to use. Using the long URL mess up the text so its harder to get the content correctly. Please try to fix this issue!

Basically the longer links will work but are really long and messy especially in tight spaces. I know I can shorten them my using display text, but this is just that much more cumbersome and they don't always copy/paste well.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there were some issues with the URL shortening.  The fix required that we move to the standard Evernote URL schema.  Sorry the news isn't better.

What about the current URLs are not working for you?

Thanks, 

P.J.

Archived