Request ADVICE - Using Excel with EN in the Field - CASE STUDY

Howdy EN Power Users!

1.  I am transitioning my roofing target market from residential to commercial metal roof restoration with solar reflective cool roof coatings.

2.  I have compiled an Excel spreadsheet with 600 records of pre-fab metal buildings in my county.

3.  Column fields: 
Business Name | Net Leaseable Area | Year Built | Street Number | Street Name | City | Zip | Owner Name | Owner Address | Owner City | Owner Zip | Same Phone

4.  Google Earth:  Excel spreadsheet will also be uploaded to Google Earth for itinerary planning. (updated: 4/7/15 - 11:20 AM CDT)

5.  It is my intent to add additional weather-damaged buildings to the spreadsheet as I find them.

6.  The Excel spreadsheet is easy enough to work with on my Win 7 laptop.

7.  I find the Excel spreadsheet to be difficult to work... viewing... editing... updating... with within my Android:
Note 2 phone and 
Verizon 4G LTE VK810 - LG G Pad 8.3 tablet

Any recommendations or insights based on actual work experience would be much appreciated!

Positively,

~ Alan

• Level 5*

Alan, a few thoughts here:

1. If you don't change the Excel file very often, it may be worth the trouble to create a PDF from it when you do, and attach that to the EN Note.  I'm guessing that EN Android should be able to view a PDF OK.
  2. Have you tried opening the Excel file from EN into the Microsoft Excel Android app?
  3. Your Excel column list looks like Contact fields, with a few additions.  Perhaps you could use a Contact app that is customizable and runs across the platforms you need.  Sorry, don't have any specific suggestions for the app.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

Alan, a few thoughts here:

1. If you don't change the Excel file very often, it may be worth the trouble to create a PDF from it when you do, and attach that to the EN Note.  I'm guessing that EN Android should be able to view a PDF OK.
  2. Have you tried opening the Excel file from EN into the Microsoft Excel Android app?
  3. Your Excel column list looks like Contact fields, with a few additions.  Perhaps you could use a Contact app that is customizable and runs across the platforms you need.  Sorry, don't have any specific suggestions for the app.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

Appreciate JMichael   :)

Well I have some exciting news... the solution found not at all where I was looking or anticipated... but it's wonderful just the same!

While conducting some Google searches this morning about Excel and EN... I discovered that Google has released a new MAPPING service called: Google My Maps (GMM).

GMM has resolved some practical issues that I've not been able to satisfy with Google Earth or Google Maps in relation to Evernote or Android for that matter!

1.  Uploading the Excel worksheet was instantaneous and stored in Google Drive!

• Business Name | Net Leaseable Area | Year Built | Street Number | Street Name | City | Zip | Owner Name | Owner Address | Owner City | Owner Zip | Same Phone

2.  Clicking on any PIN (marker) opens a DIALOGUE BOX displaying all column fields (above)

• Click on the EDIT icon (pen)... and the fields are converted to an editable TABLE in which the existing field data can be updated!

• Text can be COPIED and PASTED into EN for archiving and alarm notices, etc.

3.  Visually DATA MINE by clicking on the link "styled by name" > changing field name.

• So instead of having to figure out how to create a ZIP CODE layer... just click on the ZIP field... GMM displays a ZIP specific color for every PIN location... and provides a count for the number of records in each ZIP! (LOL! I'm feeling a little giddy!)

• Table columns can be updated within GMM or... delete current data... and drag-in updated spreadsheet!

4.  Viewing options:

• Can NAVIGATE
  • Can view in MAPS or SATELLITE (click on link "Base Map")
  • Printscreen of ZIP CODE view: http://goo.gl/tI3QgY

Previous limitations have been lifted! The challenge of integrating with EN has been virtually eliminated.

Wow! What a marketing GIFT!

I hope this proves helpful to other EN Members!

~ Alan

Here are REFERENCES I was able to leverage to take my learning curve "vertical"!

(BTW: Evernoted   :)

Archived