Need a little help!

Am new to Evenote; so far, love it!  Have scanned 5 letters to put in EN; there are several pages per letter.  Is there a way to put all pages of each letter together as one resource rather than having each page entered as a separate screenshot?  Thanks for any tips!

• Level 5*

Separate pages suggests you're saving as JPG files which are 'one page,  one file'.  If you can save as PDF files,  all the pages will be in one file.  What scanner do you have - what menu options are you following to scan to Evernote?

Thanks! That makes sense!  Use a Samsung Printer/scanner/copier combo.  Scanning onto computer into PIcasa and then taking "screen shots" from there to put into Evernote.  Perhaps this is not the best way to put multi-page scans into Evernote files.   

• Level 5*

Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!  No,  that's not the best way.  Check the user guide - many scanners can output searchable PDF files for documents,  and it will save you a lot of work if you can scan to one file,  then save that file to your desktop.  You'll also save a huge overhead in wasted upload allowance - searchable PDF files are much smaller than JPG files.

OK still working on the process of getting searchable PDF multi-page documents into Evernote in one file. (Have received the message that am close to monthly load limit, so those first 68 Evernote entries (one-page JPEG files) must have really used up my "free" space fast!) So far, thought I think I have a PDF file on my desktop. Followed scanner instructions to do so, although document properties show it is a png file. Is this acceptable or do I keep trying to get it to PDF? THEN when I have a PDF on desktop, how do I get document into Evernote?? (I'm such a novice at this!)

b

• Level 5*

You need a file with a PDF extension, so first thing would be as @Gaz suggests is to check the user manual on the Samsung and determine the settings to output a multi-page PDF.  What is the model number of the Samsung?

Second, an easy way to get scanned PDFs into EN is to use the import folder option in EN,  You need to create a folder on your computer, create a notebook in EN (preferably a local one so as to not effect your upload balance until you are ready), and use Tools - Import Folders to in the Windows version.  Picture after set up below.

When you've done this if you can set up the Samsung so that its PDF output goes to that folder you created from that point on all of your scans will "automatically" appear in EN.  Good luck.

post-58142-0-01102300-1427996278_thumb.p

Thank you so much for taking time to answer this! My Samsung printer is M2885FW.  Found in the online manual how to scan multiple pages to one file.  Manual told me to select either "PDF" or "Multiple-page TIFF." (Didn't find "multiple-page PDF" as an option, only "PDF/Image" and "PDF/A Image."  Used "PDF/Image.")

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  Can't quite tell from the above, but Is it working for you now?

Not sure what the difference is between Image and A Image, but if Image is working, so be it.  EN will OCR the PDFs in synced notebooks, though free users are at a lower priority.  Local PDFs won't be OCRd unless you do it.  You might check to see if any OCR software came with the printer. Then you can OCR everything yourself and not worry whether the note is synced or not.  FWiW

Well, I THINK it might be working!  Do have my first pdf extension file. ("PDF/Image" did let me scan a two-page letter into one file; created a folder on my computer to put it in.) Also created an EN local notebook....and lo and behold....I have that first PDF file in that notebook!  

Will redo those other 66 one-page JPEG files now, so should get plenty of practice. :)

Will move on to OCR when get this mastered. 

Are "tags" created for each EN file an alternative (more primitive) to the OCR process? Found tags easy and helpful for reviewing all of those JPEG files, which I am going to redo. Am debating whether to add them to the new files.  

Again I REALLY appreciate your help, csihilling and gazumped.  I have learned SO MUCH from you guys!

• Level 5*

Excellent, glad it is working.

Tags really aren't a substitute for OCR.  OCR makes the entire PDF searchable.  Tags on the other hand are used to identify/group like notes.  For example, if you scanned all of your statements from different companies into EN you might create a tag like Statement and add it to each of those notes.  You can then quickly get to the subset of notes that are statements.  From there you can refine the search by word(s) within that set of notes.  Or if you added a tag for company name, you can do an AND search and have all the statements for that company.  

Some prefer a keyword approach as opposed to tags.  This is where the same text is added to the note title or body to group notes.  Both work, depends on personal preference.

Do a search on the forum for tags and you will find many threads giving you multiple perspectives on how to use tags, keywords and notebooks.  From there you can build your own method.  Personally, I use tags and very few notebooks, works for me anyway  Enjoy..

Ran into a small glitch.  Learned about the 25 MB limit to attachments AFTER scanning a 31-page document that was 48 MB!  (Most of my documents are not this long.) So......is there a creative way to split the scanned PDF file in half and just call it Part 1 and Part 2?

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  You're still on the learning curve I think..  the PDF image files you're creating aren't searchable,  because each page is still an image,  wrapped in a PDF file.  (Some PDF apps will allow you to combine several JPG files into one PDF) Both still suffer from the problem that images take up (a lot) more space than text.  An OCR version of the 48MB file will likely be a fraction of the size - I have a 282-page software guide in 11.5MB.

(As a free user you don't get the automatic OCR of an uploaded file which Premium users enjoy,  so you need to do your own and upload a PDF file in text mode,  which Evernote will then index for searches.)

A lot of PDF editor apps have the ability to split and merge files,  and some can also OCR.  PDFSam http://www.techradar.com/downloads/pdf-split-and-merge (free software) will do the splitting and merging thing for the moment,  a web search is probably best to see what OCR tools might be available - this one http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-ocr-text-in-pdf-and-image-files-in-adobe-acrobat--cms-20406 is pretty comprehensive.  NB Adobe Acrobat (not the reader version) is expensive!

PDF/A seems to be a more formal and technical version of the ordinary boring PDF/Image standard so I'd steer clear of that - PDF Image is fine.

Thank you so much, gazumped...am definitely still on the learning curve!  Seems to me that I need to focus first on how to create smaller files, and preferably searchable ones. 

Given the file format choices on my scanner, how do I create PDF files that are not PDF-wrapped images?  

What about the Premium Evernote for a novice like me; might it be a better choice to "bite the bullet" and pay for it?  I am looking for a simple and relatively quick way to help me get documents onto Evernote in smaller size and that are preferably searchable. You guys have been GREAT to help, but I don't want to wear you out with my questions. :)

• Level 5*

Premium will enable you upload more data every month for sure, and you may need it if you are going to do some serious scanning for a while.  

However, per Gaz, I would start by determining how/if your scanner will produce a "pure" PDF file.  You need to start your journey on a solid base.  You might see if Samsung  has an 800 support line or the like try and find the PDF answer there. 

• Level 5*

Good luck, hope they have the answer.  

Side bar, I recommend premium if you use EN a lot adding PDFs, web clips and the like since 60 MB goes quickly.  And it's only a latte a month.   ;)

Archived