"Can't connect to server" resolve without using IE?

Chuckleluck

So recently (for the past two or three days) Evernote hasn't been able to sync, and when I logged out, I was unable to log back in because it "Can't connect to server". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote.

I did some Googling, and found a couple forum threads that say you have to change a setting in Internet Explorer.  But I have a problem.  For reasons I'd rather not get into, I can't open Internet Explorer - it crashes immediately after opening.  I've tried everything to fix it, but it hasn't been a big deal because I've never needed to use it (I almost exclusively use Google Chrome).

My question is, is there a way to resolve Evernote's "Can't connect to server"/unable to sync error without having to mess with Internet Explorer?

• 4 months later...

This is not working for me. 

I'm running Evernote 5.8.13.8152 (276152) Public. I'm on one of two Windows 7 computers. Evernote works fine on one. Also no problems on Android phone and tablet. 

On the other computer, I reinstalled the operating system. When I downloaded and tried to reinstall Evernote, it wouldn't let me sign in. 

First it says 'invalid user name or password'. It's not; both are correct. When I click sign-in again, it says 'Can't connect to server. Please try again later.'

I tried the fixes used by others here. In Internet Explorer, both SSL boxes were already unchecked. In Chrome, I added the flag --ssl-version-min=tls1. No difference. 

Assuming the problem is related to the reinstall of Windows 7, can anyone suggest other possibilities? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry for taking a while to get around to your post.  If you haven't already solved the issue on your second computer,  I'd suggest uninstalling Evernote using Revo uninstaller to completely clean the system out,  then restart and reinstall EN as Administrator.  Is your other machine on and logged into Evernote while you're setting up the second one?

• 2 weeks later...

Gazumped, thank you. Sometimes the other machine is up and on the network; sometimes it isn't. Which do you recommend?  I use Eversync.

I went to Windows 10 on the laptop to see if that would fix it. It didn't. Evernote has to work on the laptop before I reinstall Windows 7 on the desktop. I don't want to end up without Evernote on either computer. 

Re: your suggestion. Does that mean it's possible that old pieces of Evernote remain after reinstalling Windows 7 and then installing Windows 10? 

I'll try it and let you know what happens. 

• Level 5*

Hi again - I'd suggest logging out of any other instances of Evernote while you're having any problems with one device;  there's no evidence that I'm aware of that it matters,  but it removes one possible variable...  Likewise with the Revo;  bits of Evernote do hang around,  like any other software (I recently 'uninstalled' a popular AV app and Revo found and killed over 1,000 extra items tucked away on my laptop!) It's all belt+braces (suspenders?) but it may help...  :)

Archived