Lost notebooks

Parrishb

Idea

I just noticed that several of my notebooks have disappeared from my Evernote. I use Evernote for all my notes for classes, and losing them means losing all the work I did in the past year and a half. Is this a bug in the most recent upgrade? Can anybody tell me how to recover this content? I opened a ticket for this last week, but the Evernote support people have not responded and it's been almost a week. This is extremely disgruntling, especially since Evernote bills itself as a tool that can help people manage their whole lives--if that content disappears because of a bug in the program, that's pretty infuriating. I love the program, but this is unacceptable. Any help would be much appreciated!

7 replies to this idea

I just noticed that several of my notebooks have disappeared from my Evernote. I use Evernote for all my notes for classes, and losing them means losing all the work I did in the past year and a half. Is this a bug in the most recent upgrade? Can anybody tell me how to recover this content? I opened a ticket for this last week, but the Evernote support people have not responded and it's been almost a week. This is extremely disgruntling, especially since Evernote bills itself as a tool that can help people manage their whole lives--if that content disappears because of a bug in the program, that's pretty infuriating. I love the program, but this is unacceptable. Any help would be much appreciated!

If you search across all notes for a note that resides in one of the notebooks you think is missing, does it show up? If so, when you look at the note, what notebook is it residing in?

Confirm you have not accidentally put the notebooks into a stack by expanding any stacks & seeing what notebooks each stack contains.

For more info on stacks, please search the board on the topic.

Nope, that doesn't appear to be the problem. I'm not finding any of the notes that were in any of the notebooks when I search for them. The thing I suspect may have happened is that when I upgraded at some point my local notebooks may have gotten lost or something...which is a SERIOUS PROBLEM with the program. Any tips on how to recover them? 

Nope, that doesn't appear to be the problem. I'm not finding any of the notes that were in any of the notebooks when I search for them. The thing I suspect may have happened is that when I upgraded at some point my local notebooks may have gotten lost or something...which is a SERIOUS PROBLEM with the program. Any tips on how to recover them?

If you lost all local notebooks (as opposed to random notebooks), then you would need to have a backup of your local database. Contrary to what some uninformed users on the board think, it's pretty easy to restore them, if you have a backup. There are instructions on this board (search on the word restore) or if you are a premium user, you could submit a support ticket to have EN staff walk you through the process. If you are not premium and have a backup, you can pay $5 for a month of premium & then submit a support ticket. If you don't have a backup, then there may not be a way to recover the local notebooks.

I do backup my machine every so often using Time Machine. There is no "Evernote" folder in the Application support folder of a backup from last spring, which is allegedly where the evernote files would be contained. Where do I find the files on my backup? 

• Level 5*

The thing I suspect may have happened is that when I upgraded at some point my local notebooks may have gotten lost or something...which is a SERIOUS PROBLEM with the program. Any tips on how to recover them? 

If the Notebooks that you lost are LOCAL Notebooks, then it is very possible that they are still there but the updated ver of EN Mac doesn't find them.  There was a bug in the early EN Mac 6.0.x versions updated from the Mac App Store that caused this problem.

If you are running the Mac App Store ver, you might try switching to the DirectDL version on the Evernote web site.

You can make the switch by moving the Evernote.app to the Mac Trash, and then download/install from Evernote.com

Hi, uninstalling the app store version and reinstalling from the Evernote website did not solve the problem. I also am not sure where to find the .enex files on my external hard drive (to which I had been downloading using Time Machine). Could you please advise me as to how to find those files, or if there's any other way to recover these notebooks? 

• Level 5*

@Parrishb:

I'm not sure I understand your setup or question, but one way to find any file, including ".ENEX", is to use Spotlight.
If you external drive has not been indexed by Spotlight, just open the Finder to the root of that drive, and do a Finder search.

Archived