PDF Attachment Notes/Comments Not Syncing

I'm having an issue with pdfs not showing the notes/comments when opened from the Evernote note they are attached to. I have tried several things: 1) Inserting a clean pdf in evernote, opening from the note, commenting/highlighting, saving & closing AND 2) opening the note via pdf reader (Skim), commenting/highlighting, saving & closing, then attaching.

When I open the file (via the note) in Evernote, the comments/notes either aren't there at all (in scenario 1), or aren't viewable in Evernote (in scenario 2).

This has to a bug. I'm using the most recent Evernote & I also had the same problem with Adobe on the mac.

Thoughts/Solutions? 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Two questions - 

How are you normally adding notes or comments to the PDF?  Using Annotate in Evernote,  or via the comments feature in Adobe?  I see you tried Skim as an alternate,  but an alternate to what?

Are you viewing (or have you tried viewing) the note on the same machine you used to add the comments?

Hi,

I am having a similar issue. Our company has a repository of notes, one of these is just over 5MB. The Windows app (Windows 8.1 with EN 5.8.1.6061) SYNC's and then states that sync is complete, but the note is there without an attachment.

I have tried to clear the database and log folders to see if it would 'download' the attachment then, but no luck. 

If I download the attachment from Web it is fine, would just like to have the note sync'ed automatically.

We have about 200 notes with PDF attachments on, but only this one (the 5MB note) is not sync'ing./

Any advice?

• Level 5*

Hi,

I am having a similar issue. Our company has a repository of notes, one of these is just over 5MB. The Windows app (Windows 8.1 with EN 5.8.1.6061) SYNC's and then states that sync is complete, but the note is there without an attachment.

I have tried to clear the database and log folders to see if it would 'download' the attachment then, but no luck. 

If I download the attachment from Web it is fine, would just like to have the note sync'ed automatically.

We have about 200 notes with PDF attachments on, but only this one (the 5MB note) is not sync'ing./

Any advice?

Sounds like it's something to do with this attachment.  Have you checked the Activity Log to see whether there's anything relevant in there?  You could try exporting your desktop note to an ENEX file,  then restoring the note again - it'll come in as a new note,  and will have run through the note creation filters to take out any problem code.  You may see some errors during the restore - make sure you keep a note of these.  If you're happy the new note is complete with attachment,  delete the original and sync again...

• 2 years later...

Was this ever resolved?

I am using a surface pro with Evernote touch.  All notes sync just fine except for annotated PDF documents which don't change.  if I remove the PDF and reattach it, it syncs.

It is only the attachments that don't sync.

I am annotating on my surface then opening the note on my desktop version.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Most of this thread seems to be about single notes not syncing - not an ongoing issue with annotated documents.  The scenario for this thread is a corrupted note (and Mac OS!).  Your issue seems to relate to all older notes with annotations which I don't recall being a general issue.   I'd suggest you reach out to Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps.

Meantime - you might try anything from this list that you haven't already done...

1. Backup database folder to desktop (precaution)
  2. restart Evernote
  3. restart device
  4. uninstall / reinstall Evernote
  5. Try Optimize Database / Fix All Notes (Ctrl + Help menu)
  6. File > Exit Evernote - rename original databases folder to Databases.Old - restart Evernote.  (Databases folder will be rebuilt*)

* NB1 if you have Local Notebooks you will need to export and re-import those notes before starting this process (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107)
  NB2 this will take time (depending on your database size) - make a drink and find a book!

- If you do some or all of this in one session and have any problems,  just replace the Databases fiolder with the backup and you'll be back to square one.

Archived