Confidentiality and shared notebooks

Hi.

May seem like a dumb q, but I am just getting started with Evernote, and like it so much that I am switching much of my record-keeping to the platform. Here is my concern. I share a notebook with several other individuals. Then I have all of my own personal notebooks. The other people using the shared on sign in, of course, with their own account, and do not have my password. But how do I have total confidence that I do not mistakenly given others access to my personal, confidential notebooks? They all appear on my desktop together; I just want to know that there is a secure wall between them. Thanks for any help.

• Level 5*

Hi. There is no way for them to access anything you have not shared. However, I think it is quite easy to inadvertently share things (I have done this) by accidentally placing them into the shared notebook, which could be devastating if you have a public notebook accessed by hundreds or thousands of people. I suggested some ways in which Evernote could improve the UI to address this, but I was not able to convince them, and so my workaround was to create two accounts: one for sharing and one without sharing. This, of course, assumes your content ought to be in the cloud in the first place -- I've come to the conclusion that if you would be uncomfortable having it viewed by others it is probably not a good idea to upload it at all unless it is encrypted. Too many things on the cloud are vulnerable to hacking.

Thanks. That is helpful. I think I may create a seperate account for the shared stuff. Yeah, I am thinking about the cloud issue you raised. Does anyone know of a tool comparable to Evernote's cloud service in terms of organizational functionality, but that is not uploaded?  

• Level 5*

Thanks. That is helpful. I think I may create a seperate account for the shared stuff. Yeah, I am thinking about the cloud issue you raised. Does anyone know of a tool comparable to Evernote's cloud service in terms of organizational functionality, but that is not uploaded?  

Sure. There are plenty of them. But, it all depends on your particular use case, the kinds of devices you use, etc. 

As Metrodon said, local notebooks are a great solution for confidential / sensitive stuff, but they cannot be synced to other devices, so they are quite limited. Again, it depends on your situation. 

Thank you Metrodon and GrumpyMonkey. As I am a total newbie to Evernote, I was not aware there was a "local notebooks" function. I'll check it out.

BTW, I am also looking for a way--if possible--to load Evernote, or an Evernote-syncable platform onto my Blackberry Playbook (not a OS 10), for which I have found there is no Evernote app.

Thanks again for the help!

Archived