Evernote Premium - Wall street Journal offer: whats the deal?

Ok I am confused... Evernote Premium can access wall street journal premium articles with the use of context...

I know that... So far so good..

Now Wall street journal is offering 1 year premium subscription to the magazine and you get complementary 1 year access to Evernote Premium...

Does this work the other way round for wall street journal If I have Evernote Premium?

Can I log in to their website and see all articles like a premium member of Wall street Journal?

Or Can I only see articles through context?

Whats the deal here?

Ok thanks for the information...

It only works the WSJ subscription -> Free Evernote premium route.. No perks the other way round...

Am I correct that premium context however has unrestricted access to the WSJ? Or is this not the case? 

i.e. Restricted articles can pop up in context... And if I click on them... I get to read to post?

Check it out for yourself - my experience is that I need a WSJ subscription to see any context from there..  and as I'm in the UK it's generally a little off-topic...

They have a European Edition with a tab specific to UK. Dont know if the coverage is as in depth, but just wanted to mention that.

That said It is not something I would pay money for, I have better things to waste cash on...

I was just wondering if paying for Evernote afforded me any Wall street journal perks...

If I cant even view the WSJ articles as you say through context (This is an Evernote premium feature, Im not sure if you misunderstood what i meant)... What is the point? It essentially becomes advertising... Something they promised they would not do... They either offer me something extra... Or they dont... I down want to see snippets for articles I cant access...

Check it out for yourself - my experience is that I need a WSJ subscription to see any context from there..  and as I'm in the UK it's generally a little off-topic...

Checked it out....

Evernotes Context feature does indeed bring up Wall street Journal articles that are both premium and free....

You can read premium articles if evernote decides to attach them to your note.... These can not be read through Wall street journal website without a subscription.. But you can read them through evernote.

However you cant cheat the system by creating a note on an article you may want to read and having it immediately show up ;)

• Level 5*

I do get context articles from WSJ but there's no choice involved - a saved advert for a music concert got me a WSJ article from 16 December last year about Tencent signing a china deal with Sony.  I can't get any other WSJ content other than whatever EN thinks is relevant to my note content.  If I try to manage my context sources,  and connect the account to WSJ,  I hit a subscription screen.

To subscribe to the WSJ itself costs around $360 a year. Compare that with $45 annually for Evernote Premium... so I don't think one is going to somehow get subscriber content from WSJ in your EN Context if you're not a WSJ subscriber:  

You can access certain WSJ articles that show up in Context. However, if you go along to the WSJ site you will see public content that is readily accessible to all... and subscriber content that is locked if you are not a subscriber. It is not clear to me whether Context in Evernote accesses the public content or both public and subscriber content if you are not a WSJ subscriber. I presume it is the former.

I suspect that if you're not a WSJ subscriber, then you are only seeing public content available on their site in Evernote's Context. If you go to your Accounts page, you can opt in/out of the WSJ showing up in context, just like any of the other Context source. However, the only two Context sources that you can actually authorize to connect to your account (or vice versa) are the WSJ and Linkedin. When you click on the connect button, you'll be taken to the WSJ login page where you'll authorize access to your EN account in pretty much the same way you authorize other 3rd-party apps. I don't subscribe to the WSJ... but I *imagine* this process is most likely to show WSJ subscriber content in your EN Context.

WSJ.PNG?dl=1

According to the article below, it seems that to redeem a year of free premium if you're a WSJ subscriber, you would log into your WSJ account and hit the "Redeem" button they provide... and when you access your EN Accounts page you'll see 120 points which can be redeemed for a year of premium. The point I'm making is that you don't link to your WSJ account from the Context sources page in order to redeem those 120 points... which leads me to believe that linking to your WSJ account (if you have one) is for the purpose of seeing subscriber content in Context.

http://www.wsjplus.com/offers/evernote

Either way, it would be nice for Evernote to clarify this for us...

To subscribe to the WSJ itself costs around $360 a year. Compare that with $45 annually for Evernote Premium... so I don't think one is going to somehow get subscriber content from WSJ in your EN Context if you're not a WSJ subscriber:  

You can access certain WSJ articles that show up in Context. However, if you go along to the WSJ site you will see public content that is readily accessible to all... and subscriber content that is locked if you are not a subscriber. It is not clear to me whether Context in Evernote accesses the public content or both public and subscriber content if you are not a WSJ subscriber. I presume it is the former.

I suspect that if you're not a WSJ subscriber, then you are only seeing public content available on their site in Evernote's Context. If you go to your Accounts page, you can opt in/out of the WSJ showing up in context, just like any of the other Context source. However, the only two Context sources that you can actually authorize to connect to your account (or vice versa) are the WSJ and Linkedin. When you click on the connect button, you'll be taken to the WSJ login page where you'll authorize access to your EN account in pretty much the same way you authorize other 3rd-party apps. I don't subscribe to the WSJ... but I *imagine* this process is most likely to show WSJ subscriber content in your EN Context.

WSJ.PNG?dl=1

According to the article below, it seems that to redeem a year of free premium if you're a WSJ subscriber, you would log into your WSJ account and hit the "Redeem" button they provide... and when you access your EN Accounts page you'll see 120 points which can be redeemed for a year of premium. The point I'm making is that you don't link to your WSJ account from the Context sources page in order to redeem those 120 points... which leads me to believe that linking to your WSJ account (if you have one) is for the purpose of seeing subscriber content in Context.

http://www.wsjplus.com/offers/evernote

Either way, it would be nice for Evernote to clarify this for us...

Thank you for the information. Very much appreciated.

I will say however that I can confirm that Context provides both free and subscription based(paid) WSJ articles (This without a WSJ Subscription)... I traced several articles titles that popped up in context... Basically searched for them with google.. I could only access some of them through WSJ website (the free ones)... However I had access on Evernote Premium context view feature.

Archived