Encrypted Notebooks

"Evernote is your extended brain" - that's what marketing says. And it's true - notes can be quite personal. So it should be possible to encrypt whole notebooks on the computer or smartphone to protect them against any unwanted access from government, evernote staff, hackers, etc. Even if that means that it's impossible to access that notebook via web app. It's easy to have two notebooks - one for personal stuff and one for general matters (which can remain unencrypted). Actually, I'm surprised that doesn't exist alsready. I know you can encrypt texts, but it's a hassle to do that again and again.

• Level 5*

Much discussed here already - it is possible to use third-party tools to encrypt selected areas,  and Evernote pretty much has a choice between providing an index and search capability or locking content away.  So far they've opted for index and search.  Agreed encryption features are a nice thought,  but they aren't available yet.

Evernote staff don't have access to your notes,  but excluding your (or any) government access may be more difficult than just encrypting content...

You can encrypt text within the notes.

I know. It's okay, but a hassle if you want to encrypt every entry.

I understand it's a choice between searchability and security - but why not give the user that choice?

I know it's almost impossible to protect your privacy against governmental/hacker access. But encrypting content on the computer prior to upload is the best you can do.

You can encrypt text within the notes.

I know. It's okay, but a hassle if you want to encrypt every entry.

I understand it's a choice between searchability and security - but why not give the user that choice?

I know it's almost impossible to protect your privacy against governmental/hacker access. But encrypting content on the computer prior to upload is the best you can do.

True.

Much discussed here already - it is possible to use third-party tools to encrypt selected areas,  and Evernote pretty much has a choice between providing an index and search capability or locking content away.  So far they've opted for index and search.  Agreed encryption features are a nice thought,  but they aren't available yet.

Evernote staff don't have access to your notes,  but excluding your (or any) government access may be more difficult than just encrypting content...

btw - what are these third-party-tools?

• Level 5*

btw - what are these third-party-tools?

We've not even defined an OS here,  but I'm thinking of the various ways for Windows and Mac to encrypt individual documents and hard drive volumes.  If you're minded to,  it's possible to encrypt everything that you have in a variety of ways that will still allow you to search most of it. 

Archived