Missing notes, issues syncing across clients

joenib

Posting this in case anybody else has the issue. Sorry you have to read through a rant ;p

You know when you've been with someone for a while and the infatuation starts to fade and you begin to notice all their flaws and shortcomings. Nobody's perfect, yes, and you do try to make things work but sometimes... ugggh.

Beware of messing around with notebooks and tags while offline. The first time was with tags. I found a workaround and posted it here:

This time, I was offline and transferred the notes from one notebook to another then deleted the now empty notebook. I didn't pay much attention to it but I did eventually sync my laptop.

Now, I'm on my desktop looking for the notes and they're nowhere to be found! Even a search didn't turn up the notes. Its a pretty big deal because these are reference articles for my thesis. I check my laptop and they're still there so I go back and forth clicking the sync button but they still refuse to make their way to my desktop. 

I got a workaround eventually:

1. create a dummy folder on my laptop,
  2. move all the notes to the dummy folder,
  3. sync (which still didn't result in syncing the notes to my other devices),
  4. select all the notes in the dummy folder,
  5. right click,
  6. "Copy to notebook..." the notes in the dummy folder back to the original notebook,
  7. sync, (the notes are now across all devices but the 'originals' in the dummy folder still don't sync),
  8. delete the dummy notebook.

I trust evernote to do what it says it'll do. These two instances were the only ones I 'caught out'. I don't know if I've lost any other notes to things like this. I'm really disappointed. I use evernote heavily and recommend it to all my friends. It's so disappointing when a product fails in the thing it's supposed to be good at :( I hope these things get worked on. I still really want to like evernote. My life is in there :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Sympathies for the poor experience - it's always a good idea to take a full backup of something before really changing things around;  at least if bad things happen you can get back to your original state with minimum fuss. In this case I don't know whether Evernote was slow in syncing your changes between devices or somehow messed up the re-organisation,  but I'd strongly recommend you take a backup soon - if the changes haven't synced through completely by now you might still see some 'conflicting changes' warnings.  Check online via Evernote.com to see whether the server has an up to date version of your notes - you realise of course that any changes sync from one device to the server before they sync out to any other devices connected to the account.

The other thing to take away from this experience is - if you make sweeping changes,  make sure you sync your device manually and frequently during and a final time after you're finished editing.  Check that the new information makes it to the server,  and then sync your other devices before you try to do anything else!

• Level 5*

Posting this in case anybody else has the issue. Sorry you have to read through a rant ;p

Beware of messing around with notebooks and tags while offline. The first time was with tags. I found a workaround and posted it here:

This time, I was offline and transferred the notes from one notebook to another then deleted the now empty notebook. I didn't pay much attention to it but I did eventually sync my laptop.
Now, I'm on my desktop looking for the notes and they're nowhere to be found! Even a search didn't turn up the notes. Its a pretty big deal because these are reference articles for my thesis. I check my laptop and they're still there so I go back and forth clicking the sync button but they still refuse to make their way to my desktop. 

I got a workaround eventually:

1. create a dummy folder on my laptop,
  2. move all the notes to the dummy folder,
  3. sync (which still didn't result in syncing the notes to my other devices),
  4. select all the notes in the dummy folder,
  5. right click,
  6. "Copy to notebook..." the notes in the dummy folder back to the original notebook,
  7. sync, (the notes are now across all devices but the 'originals' in the dummy folder still don't sync),
  8. delete the dummy notebook.

I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem, but I have several concerns.  I'm not sure it is a good solution for all users.

1. Adding more transactions to an account already having problems could make things worse.
  2. When you copy the Notes between folders, you are consuming your monthly upload allowance
  3. When making lots of big changes, I would sync after each step, and make sure the sync worked by verifying your account using the EN Web client.

My suggestion is that when you have complicated issues it is best to work with Evernote Support, either by Support Ticket, or by Support Chat.

Archived