Weird anomaly with search

I am a premium user with Evernote on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and my desktop using the Windows app as well as the web version. My wife is a free user on her laptop. Everything seemed to work perfectly until I discovered a search anomaly.

Windows version 5.6.4.4632

Web version using latest Firefox

Android version 6.1

When I do a search on my desktop in the Windows app, not all notes of a particular search will be found. ie., searching for "broccoli" will display one Trader Joe's receipt, but not both receipts of the two that contain broccoli.

The search does find both notes containing broccoli on my Note 4, on my desktop's web version, and on my wife's laptop.

This occurs throughout all my notes, not just in the Trader Joe's stack of the Receipts Notebook.

Any ideas?

• Level 5*

Seems like it might be worth a trouble ticket.  In the meantime to override the problem you could try to resync the note by adding a couple of xx's in the body, or re OCR the receipt.  

Doesn't make sense thought that it would be searchable on 3 of 4 platforms assuming all are synced.. 

Thanks for your reply.

I did as you suggested, and added a couple of xx's to the "broccoli" receipt note that wasn't being found in the search.

Searched for "broccoli": Note did not show up.

Searched for "xx": Search found the note.

I guess it's trouble ticket time.

I am a premium user with Evernote on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and my desktop using the Windows app as well as the web version. My wife is a free user on her laptop. Everything seemed to work perfectly until I discovered a search anomaly.

Windows version 5.6.4.4632

Web version using latest Firefox

Android version 6.1

When I do a search on my desktop in the Windows app, not all notes of a particular search will be found. ie., searching for "broccoli" will display one Trader Joe's receipt, but not both receipts of the two that contain broccoli.

The search does find both notes containing broccoli on my Note 4, on my desktop's web version, and on my wife's laptop.

This occurs throughout all my notes, not just in the Trader Joe's stack of the Receipts Notebook.

Any ideas?

It's a known issue that search results vary between clients. 

Go figure. 

Unfortunately, I prefer the Windows app. :(

I just updated to the 5.7.x.xxxx version. The problem still exists.

I have submitted a support ticket.

Yeah, well good luck with that. (Not that you shouldn't...just that it's reasonable to not get your hopes up that it will be fixed any time soon.) This has been a known issue for quite a while and even reported as "recently" as July... (and I submitted ticket #627563 at that time)

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/63195-exact-string-search-trouble/

Yeah, well good luck with that. (Not that you shouldn't...just that it's reasonable to not get your hopes up that it will be fixed any time soon.) This has been a known issue for quite a while and even reported as "recently" as July... (and I submitted ticket #627563 at that time)

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/63195-exact-string-search-trouble/

Well then. I guess I'll have to wait.

In the meantime, here's some additional interesting information.

In the Windows version I switch back and forth between my account and my wife's. I scan receipts into my account then cut and paste the note contents from my account into hers. (That's one reason why I prefer the Windows version ... easy switching between accounts.)

All the receipts are immediately findable in her account. But, only some of the receipts are findable in my account. This is using the Windows app on my desktop for both accounts, not leaving the app, but just using the "Switch to ..." feature. As I said, all my notes are findable with my Android, and with the web version.

Isn't that interesting?

Well then. I guess I'll have to wait.

In the meantime, here's some additional interesting information.

In the Windows version I switch back and forth between my account and my wife's. I scan receipts into my account then cut and paste the note contents from my account into hers. (That's one reason why I prefer the Windows version ... easy switching between accounts.)

All the receipts are immediately findable in her account. But, only some of the receipts are findable in my account. This is using the Windows app on my desktop for both accounts, not leaving the app, but just using the "Switch to ..." feature. As I said, all my notes are findable with my Android, and with the web version.

Isn't that interesting?

There may be some different nuances you are introducing by cutting/pasting.  I would suggest to accurately move notes between accounts, that you export to enex (from one) then import the enex to the other account. 

Another way to move notes between accounts is with shared notebooks.  But that method has issues, too.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58882-notes-in-shared-notebook-doesnt-get-deleted-on-client/

Yes, I had already tried sharing my stacked notebooks with my wife's accounts as joined notebooks. Didn't like the implementation of that at all. One reason is because she is not a premium user like I am she couldn't search through joined notebooks in a shared stack. That's why I am using the cut & paste method to copy notes to her account. I will look into your suggestion about export/import to enex.

Two new anomalies:

1. I've discovered that some of my wife's notes don't show up in searches in her account. Different than the ones in my own searches.

2. When I cut and pasted a note from my wife's account to replace a note in my account that wasn't showing up in my search, it started showing up.

So, "nuance" is hardly an adequate word to describe the issues with the Windows version search function. :)

Since I am new to the forum this is my last post until tomorrow morning. Thank you everybody for your input. I'll be back tomorrow.

Archived