Using OR in a search of note titles

I am trying to create a search that shows my open reminders with notes with one of two words in the title. My search starts with this:

reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

I can make it work when I add intitle:term1, but I cannot get it to work when I want to add the option for term2. I tried this but no go.

reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* any: intitle:term1 intitle:term2

Can anyone help?

• Level 5*

I am trying to create a search that shows my open reminders with notes with one of two words in the title. My search starts with this:

reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*

I can make it work when I add intitle:term1, but I cannot get it to work when I want to add the option for term2. I tried this but no go.

reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* any: intitle:term1 intitle:term2

Can anyone help?

In a search, the "any:" term must precede all other terms except "notebook:" or "stack:" (if present). See: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php#Search_Terms

So the following should work:

any: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* intitle:term1 intitle:term2

Jeff,

Thanks for replying. The string you gave me any: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* intitle:term1 intitle:term2 pulls up all my notes that had a reminder or one of my terms.

I want to pull just those notes that have open reminders and have one of two terms in the title. Do you know how I would do that?

• Level 5*

Jeff,

Thanks for replying. The string you gave me any: reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:* intitle:term1 intitle:term2 pulls up all my notes that had a reminder or one of my terms.

I want to pull just those notes that have open reminders and have one of two terms in the title. Do you know how I would do that?

You cannot (at least easily). Evernote search is either all AND (all terms must match, the default) or all OR (any term may match, when you use any:). About the only way to do mixed AND/OR searches is if you can take advantage of wildcards, which you can use in normal text terms, tag: terms, or intitle: terms. As a general rule, that not convenient, but it's possible to come up with schemes (like compound tag names) that can take advantage of that.

Archived