Search Frustration in Evernote 5

taperkey

I recently upgraded to Evernote 5 and with the new format I can't figure out how to streamline my searches. In the past, I could be in a particular notebook and start a search in just that notebook--narrowing with tags and keywords.

Now it seems I can ONLY start a search with ALL my notes--which means I have to remember the EXACT name of my notebook to narrow my search. It also seems to kick me back to searching all notebooks and notes if I click on the tags on the left.

I suppose that for someone with only a few notes or notebooks, this search function would be useful. But I have sooooo many notes and need to be able to narrow my search to a specific notebook like before.

Is there a functionality that I'm missing or a workaround that I haven't discovered yet? I miss what I had . . .

• Level 5*

Is this the Windows desktop Evernote client, or the Windows Touch version? What version number are you running?

For the desktop client, you can start with a notebook, then narrow via tags or keyword by typing in the search control in the toolbar (e.g. "tag:work billing", etc.). Or you can narrow by tag selection by clicking on the tag icon in the search control over the note list. I do this all the time.

I don't know about the Windows Touch version.

It is the Windows Desktop client.

I know the kind of search you're talking about. I used to do it all the time too!

However, now the only search bar is over the note composition window--not in its old place above the note snippet view.

Wait . . . in my attempt to best describe my situation, I discovered something. If you click the search magnifying glass, you can choose "Search All Notes" (default) or "Search Current Context," which would search a specific notebook if I'm in that notebook.

THAT was the piece I was missing. Sheesh . . . I feel silly for missing it.

Although--in my defense--that was NOT intuitive, and I couldn't find ANY kind of documentation to help explain the change, which is pretty significant from Evernote 4.

Thanks!

Archived