(Archived) Automatic Sync Problem

KaoruMiki

Idea

I searched the forum in advance and saw all sorts of sync problems being addressed, but the problem I'm having isn't with the sync itself which works fine, just the auto-sync which doesn't.

I use Evernote on two Macs, one at work and one at home, and an iPhone, and the only one that I have problems with is the work one. There is a company firewall which I suspect may be the cause of the problem, but when I hit the manual Sync button, it all syncs up fine. The Sync setting in Preferences is set to "Every 5 minutes" but over the past two months, despite being open for at least 9 hours every day it has yet to automatically sync once.

I'm running the latest version of Evernote (1.4.9) on a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo running OS X 10.5.8 if that helps.

Thanks!

6 replies to this idea

If you run the Mac "Console" application after the client has been sitting idle for a while, and then filter on "Evernote", you could see detailed information about any networking failures.

We use the same networking interfaces as Safari, so if you can log in to your web account via Safari on that same computer, you should be able to communicate fine via Evernote.

If you run the Mac "Console" application after the client has been sitting idle for a while, and then filter on "Evernote", you could see detailed information about any networking failures.

We use the same networking interfaces as Safari, so if you can log in to your web account via Safari on that same computer, you should be able to communicate fine via Evernote.

I opened Console (All Messages) and filtered on Evernote, but the message above is the only one that appears (at 5 minute intervals) unless I manually intervene. Of course, manually intervening by pressing the Sync button does what it's supposed to do so it just brings up the "Sync complete." message in the Console log.

Try changing the value to something like an hour, and then change it back in a while to see if that helps make it "stick."

Otherwise, you could leave it at 5min for a while without otherwise using the product, and then go to:

Help > Activity Log...

To see if there are any entries for attempted synchronizations every five minutes.

Still the same issue. Syncs fine as long as I press the manual button. The message above comes up regularly in the console. However, when I switch networks to a non-firewalled wi-fi, the auto-sync then works fine, so it's clearly the firewall causing the issue. Just a bit confused that it's only affecting the automatic aspect and not the sync itself.

(Just using the wi-fi instead of the firewalled company LAN isn't really an option unfortunately – fine for the occasional emergency, which this isn't).

Archived