Why aren't all of my notebooks syncing across laptops?

I'm new to Evernote and am working on two different laptops, one of which I just began using. Trouble is only some of my notebooks from the original are showing up on it. Any ideas? When I alter something in one of the notebooks that do show up everything syncs up ok.

• Level 5*

They should be syncing. The usual approach is to check your activity logs, and also check the Evernote web client. The web client will tell you what's been synced to the Evernote servers; if notes are missing on the Evernote server from their original location, then you're having a problem syncing up to the servers. If the notes are all there on the Evernote server, then you're having a problem syncing down to the destination laptop. The activity logs may give you a clue as to what's happening. If you get stuck, you may want to open a support request; see the link in my signature.

thanks I figured it out... some of the notebooks were "local" and others syncable, so I switched my notes from them to new notebooks and deleted the local ones, which brings me to my next question: Why were some of them "local"?   I don't remember specifying anything like that.

Also, can I make changes on both laptops? I made one on the new laptop and got a "conflicting change" msg.

thanks

thanks I figured it out... some of the notebooks were "local" and others syncable, so I switched my notes from them to new notebooks and deleted the local ones, which brings me to my next question: Why were some of them "local"?   I don't remember specifying anything like that.

Also, can I make changes on both laptops? I made one on the new laptop and got a "conflicting change" msg.

thanks

jacque, Local Notebooks are designed for those who have information they need to store locally, but do not wish the information to be in the cloud.  Sensitive information typically.  The downside to local notebooks is they will not be synced to your other devices.  They are purely local to the device they were created on.

On the Mac Evernote Client, you create a New Notebook by going to File>New Notebook> (then choose in the drop down whether you want it to be a Local Notebook or a Synchronized Notebook). I can only speak for a Mac.  I don't have a windows client.

Conflict Message:  When making changes in a Note on one device, Sync immediately after making your changes.  When beginning work on another device, Sync Before you begin your work, make your changes, then Sync again immediately after.  

If you make changes to a Note on one device without syncing, go to another device, make changes to the same Note, then Sync, you will get a "conflict" message when you try to sync on the original device. (I hope I said that clearly)

Simply Sync immediately after working on any Note on any device to avoid the conflict message.  Hope this helps.

Archived