Adding Additional Accounts - Advantages? Limitations?

sorenca

Idea

I'm interested in adding a second account to my existing Premium account, but can find very little details on how it would work.

1) What is the advantage of "adding" a second account, as compared to simply having two completely separate accounts? Is it simply the convenience of being able to more easily switch from one to the other? 

2) Must the second account be a free account? If it can also be a Premium account, is it an additional $45/year?

3) Would they sync separately?

4) Different Evernote e-mail addresses I presume.

5) Must I first open up a new account as though I am a new subscriber, and then afterwards add the new account via my Desktop?

Thanks for your help

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5

There are different ways you can attack this issue. Some people will suggest sharing (adding?), but there are some downsides to that. I opted for completely segregated accounts. My issue is with Windows, but I have heard similar comments for the Mac.

It is messy. Notebook names do not transfer. I needed a clear definition of what was going to be in each account. So why did I do this? Because Evernote appears to have a problem with scalability dealing with large accounts. I have just over 30,000 notes. They are now split with half in the primary account and half in the secondary account.

The company says you can have up to 100,000 notes, but that is not my experience. Other power users have mentioned similar problems. One solution was to remove many of the PDF notes in Evernote and leave links in Evernote to those files stored elsewhere. Other suggestions included multiple accounts 

When I upgraded my 30,000 notes to version 5.0 in December 2013 I noticed the problem reach a critical stage (constant sluggishness, 10+ minute syncs, Not Responding warnings, Failure messages). I've tried many solutions including Evernote support, debug & reindex, debug & optimize, full erase & reinstall. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

1) What is the advantage of "adding" a second account, as compared to simply having two completely separate accounts? Is it simply the convenience of being able to more easily switch from one to the other? 

Adding an account (sharing?) causes confusion with the tags and the tag count. See my comment above about scalability. Separate accounts was not more convenient for me, but it is more an act of desperation.

2) Must the second account be a free account? If it can also be a Premium account, is it an additional $45/year?
You can go with free, or premium. Yes, the second premium is $45

3) Would they sync separately?
Yes, in my case, the accounts are completely separate. No sharing at all.

4) Different Evernote e-mail addresses I presume.
Yes (and different user names)

5) Must I first open up a new account as though I am a new subscriber, and then afterwards add the new account via my Desktop?
If you already have an account, you can create a new free or premium one. That is what I did. 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Warning: It was a very tedious and time consuming process. I exported 400 to 600 notes from an individual notebook on my primary account (via .ENEX) and then imported into the secondary account and moved them to the new notebook. I was very cautious and did a lot of double checking to be sure my data was still there (and a lot of manual sync'ing). This transfer procedure will eat up the Evernote upload cap quickly in a free setup. So I bought a premium account. It took a couple months to get the 15,000 notes moved.

I am going to end my two premium subscriptions and revert to the free level. My critical documents have been moved to other programs. I no longer have the confidence in Evernote that I used to have.

Thank you jbenson2. I am approaching 8,000 notes, and have not yet noticed a significant delay in syncing on my main 2010 iMac (i5 processor) computer, etc. However, I have noticed that my less powerful 2012 iMac (i3) takes a several minutes to sync a day or twos worth of new notes on the same account. So, my theory is that EN users with big (>10 GB) enex files simply need more than normal processing power. There is a limit though, and you've apparently reached it (30 GB). I wonder if other power users have noticed the same thing. It would be interesting to hear EN's opinion on this theory.

In conclusion, I agree with you. Two separate accounts appear to be far better than attempting to share two accounts for convenience purposes. As they say, KISS! The potential downside to "sharing" is a complete disaster.

Thanks again. Hope we hear from others on this subject too.

Archived