[Request] Better annotating of PDFs for Evernote for iPad

Lezongard

Idea

I do a lot of PDF annotating with an adonit stylus and have recently been frustrated by the impossibility of annotating PDFs effectively on the Evernote for iPad app. When writing with the stylus using the drawing function of the internal PDF editor ( Some remake of Skitch, I think), parts of the letters that I write don't form and the application only starts displaying the lines that I draw when the stylus has already travelled about 5mm over the surface of the iPad's screen. Please could Evernote alter this drawing function so that one could write handwritten notes on attached PDFs in one's library?

4 replies to this idea

+1. I tried using it this morning and actually gave up and used notetaker had instead which is a good alternative.

Shame because I'd like to keep inside the walled garden that is Evernote...

Only recently have I found some use-cases for myself where Evernote's annotation has been top tier. Specifically, while reviewing a manuscript I am currently working on, it was really nice to have the annotation summary at the top showing my brief comments, arrows, circles, etc throughout. It made essentially a to-do list of all the changes I needed to make. Very handy, and I had never really used Evernote's in-built annotation before. 

That being said, I have yet to really find it useful when reading longer PDFs (such as academic articles). I prefer more traditional forms of highlighting, MAYBE with the odd scribbled word or hand-drawn elements. For this I find PDF Expert (from Readdle, $10 I think) to be ideal (most of my PDFs are in dropbox anyway, which ties in the PDF Expert seamlessly). Notability is great to, that is my partner's weapon of choice. 

All of this is to say that Evernote's annotation definitely is amazing when it works for your needs. My recent discovery of how I can use it has been immensely helpful. However, for my other workflows, I do not find it perfect, so I use other programs that work best for me. Sounds like you're doing the same. 

Any suggestions of supported note-taking applications? Notability is a remarkable app.

supported? You mean with Evernote integration? None that I know of, otherwise I'd be using it ;) Notability is great, PDF Expert is also fantastic (and my personal weapon of choice). 

Either one of these allows you to "open in..." so you can always move a file into Evernote when you are finished annotating. 

Archived