(Archived) Data did not save online

detrog1980

I was using the Evernote online and did three hours of work, thinking my data was being saved. When I got home and opened up my Evernote, my data did not save online. 

What in the world caused this? I lost hours of hard work.

• Level 5

Did you sync your home computer Evernote before looking for the note?

In Windows, hit F9, wait for the sync to complete and then search for the note.

Here's more details.

1. I originally created the note on my home computer.

2. I then made changes to it online on my work computer.

3. When I came home, I opened up evernote, synced it.

4. None of the work I did online was saved.

5. I went back online, and my note was replaced with what I had on my desktop.

Does that make sense?  What I can't figure out is why Evernote online did not save or at least show it in the conflicting changes? So frustrated.

• Level 5

Sorry to hear about the missing information -

Between step #2 and #3 - I was going to ask if you sync'd, but you worked on the note online, so I assume there was no need to sync.

I could be totally wrong since I no longer use the Evernote web version.

Perhaps someone who understands the web version has some insight.

• Level 5*

Typing into the web browser version should be as good as working on the server - as long as the browser is still connected to the server.  I have some experience with another browser-only service which periodically tells me to reload the page because the connection between it and that server has dropped for some reason.  Over a 3 plus hours-long session I'd guess that a browser,  server or internet timeout somewhere eventually dropped and if the page continued to attempt to save contents,  the saves were no longer being passed to the Evernote server.  I know it's absolutely no help or compensation,  but it would be better to keep notes in a word processor with automatic local saves and then save that document file into Evernote.  Extended working via a web connection is - as you now know all too well - not reliable.  It would even be possible to highlight the content of a long Evernote page (Ctrl-A for select All) and copy / paste it into an email to send to your Evernote email address as a backup to web saving.

You could and should raise a support ticket (see below) in case Evernote has any way to recover any part of your work,  and to highlight this issue.  I can't offer any great hope of any recovery however - sorry.   :(

Thanks gazumped for your suggestions. I may have to start doing that when I'm working online.  They should create a "save" button or something to tell you when you may be disconnected from the server. That is probably what happened, but unfortunately I had no idea as I've used it online and always saw it auto save.  

I put a ticket in to see what they can say.

Archived