Evernote Backup on external HD

Hello there,

I was wondering, if an Evernote-BU with enex-files includes everything in the notes. I have very big pdf-files of ebooks attached in some of my notes. The export of those files doesn't took long, so I'm note so sure if these files are saved as backup as well.

kind regards

• Level 5*

ENEX isn't necessarily the best way to backup your database.  Search 'backup' and your OS around here for more on how to do that..

Check your Export Options to see what you've selected to include within the file - not sure now what the default is,  but you can tick and untick several boxes...

• Level 5*

Hello there,

I was wondering, if an Evernote-BU with enex-files includes everything in the notes. I have very big pdf-files of ebooks attached in some of my notes. The export of those files doesn't took long, so I'm note so sure if these files are saved as backup as well.

kind regards

Hi. I've got some recommendations about backups here.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

If you are looking to export and backup your data, I recommend .html instead of/in combination with .enex.

ok thanks so far.

I've read here in another thread, that the desktop-version of EN has the notes saved on my MacHD somewhere in my User-Folder.

I'm doing Time Machine-backups on a external HD every week - so I guess my data is saved.

But does this also count for the entire pdf-files I added to the notes?

• Level 5*

ok thanks so far.

I've read here in another thread, that the desktop-version of EN has the notes saved on my MacHD somewhere in my User-Folder.

I'm doing Time Machine-backups on a external HD every week - so I guess my data is saved.

But does this also count for the entire pdf-files I added to the notes?

Yes. If you have the direct download version of the app, you ought to be able to stick a phrase into Spotlight and find the .pdf within your account files, if you want to test this. On the direct download version (and the location of this data), see this blog post:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

I should mention that this might be more complicated if you have a scan that Evernote OCR'd for you, because Evernote does not add the OCR data directly into your PDFs (it should be data contained in the note to which it is attached, if I remember correctly). Personally, I OCR everything before sticking it into Evernote, so I haven't had much experience searching for the contents of PDFs OCR'd by Evernote.

Archived