Account sharing/setup

We started using EN from the beginning (we=two co-workers, one office, two imacs, two iphones), with one account.  My co-worker logs in to the same account on her computer.  This causes update issues from time to time (both working on the same account, making changes, etc).  I'm sure this is probably a stupid question—but isn't there a better way to do this?  What SHOULD we be doing (one premium account, two computers, etc)?  Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There are WAY better ways to do this,  but just in the short term why don't both of you get new free accounts,  then log into your current account and share the notebook to your new accounts.  Even if the current account is a free one,  you can still share one notebook with edit priviledges for free to others - in this case Account A is now sharing to B & C.  You can both have your own logins etc etc and edit notes as you need.  Try that with one notebook,  and if you get on better with that layout,  and Account A isn't already Premium,  you could upgrade to Prem for that account,  so it can share more notebooks with B & C.  Please don't jump into a new workflow on my account though - try this out carefully to see if it works!!

Good luck.  You're still going to get conflicting edits if both of you look at the same note,  and remember to sync often so you're both looking at the most up to date version of any note and saving your own changes.

We started using EN from the beginning (we=two co-workers, one office, two imacs, two iphones), with one account.  My co-worker logs in to the same account on her computer.  This causes update issues from time to time (both working on the same account, making changes, etc).  I'm sure this is probably a stupid question—but isn't there a better way to do this?  What SHOULD we be doing (one premium account, two computers, etc)?  Thanks.

Although Evernote advertises a few collaboration features, it's been widely discussed on the board that EN is not really a good collaboration tool  For one thing, there is no way to prevent multiple people from modifying the same note at the same time.

More info here:

When you're having older versions of notes regularly overwriting newer versions, it's usually user error.  (Sorry, but true.)  When you're using multiple clients, computers and/or devices, it's VERY important to understand how sync'ing works.  This is important for not just Evernote, but any cloud based system.

In a nutshell, before changing any notes, sync changes DOWN to the computer/device.  When done, sync changes UP from the computer/device.

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

Archived