(Archived) Some suggestions, ideas, thoughts for improvements

I really like Evernote so far. I haven't used it that much, but some ideas for improvements have come to me. I'm sure some of these have been suggested before, and my guess is that many are just a question of not having resources to devote to everything, but here goes anyway.

1. I'd love to see some sort of integration (both ways, preferably) with the at least following apps/platforms/data sources: Del.icio.us, RSS or Google Reader, Mail.app for Mac, Gmail, Google Docs, Zotero and other bibliographical and BibTeX programs, WordPress. I guess my idea is that for Evernote to be really effective at what it's trying to do, it has to be able to search everything. If it can't search my gmail, then I have to remember where the piece of information I want is stored and search there. I think the goal should be searching in one box to find everything you've got. Google Desktop, Mac Spotlight, etc. all work towards this, but integrating Google stuff in is critical. So much of my info is stored in Gmail or Mail.app. Likewise RSS.

2. It's shocking to me that tabbing from the note title field moves me to the formatting options. It should go from the title field possibly directly to the main text box, possibly with a stop in the tag field. Other programs work this way and it is very frustrating to have to use my mouse to quickly title, tag and edit a note.

3. I'd love to see some sort of autotagging, whether sophisticated or basic. How about source of the note (Firefox, text doc, etc.)? Rules-based autotagging? Contextual super-smart autotagging? This would go a long way towards making my info accessible with the least amount of effort. Since the global search feature is still tough to use and pulls in a lot of broad stuff, tags are critical for being able to find things.

4. Automatic duplicate sensing. Especially when importing text documents or notes from other sources, it's really easy to create exact or near duplicates, but almost impossible to easily find and delete them. This could be very basic, i.e. finding exact duplicates and pointing them out or warning you before the duplicate is created, or it could be sophisticated and try to point out when you are duplicating some text or info you already have.

• 9 months later...

+1 Auto-tagging

+1 Duplicate detection

As a former DEVONthink user, I have been frustrated by the lack of auto-tagging and duplicate detection in Evernote. However, the ability to have my second brain so easily accessible has made Evernote the hands-down winner for my document management.

I've got TONS of documents on my computer, most of which are duplicates of some sort or another. I'd love to just dump them into Evernote and, since it's my second brain, have it analyze all the documents and tell me which ones are probably duplicates.

Great work Evernote! Keep it up!

2. It's shocking to me that tabbing from the note title field moves me to the formatting options. It should go from the title field possibly directly to the main text box, possibly with a stop in the tag field. Other programs work this way and it is very frustrating to have to use my mouse to quickly title, tag and edit a note.

most important for me

++support!

also autotagging could be a nice, but optional, feature too.

don't know, if it can be useful on creating new tags, but "comparing" the body with existing tags could be a way to autotagsuggestion.

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all of the above, additionally, I'd love to:

Open the list of notebooks and tags in a separate window for easy organization.

Have a colored highlight option

Easily tag multiple notes with the same tag.

If these are already available, I can't find them.

Other than those minor annoyances, Evernote is an indispensable asset to me.

> Have a colored highlight option

I was looking for highlighting today and was surprised to see that we do not have it. Seems obvious and basic -- and essential.

Additionally, a button to turn on or off the Spellcheck on a specific note would be nice.

> Have a colored highlight option

I was looking for highlighting today and was surprised to see that we do not have it. Seems obvious and basic -- and essential.

thats true.

Additionally, a button to turn on or off the Spellcheck on a specific note would be nice.

i had "feature-requested" that too, although i never use spell checking, i could be very handy, if the user could klick it fast and easy without goint to the settings...

Archived