Ctrl-Insert = magic crash key

I accidentally hit Ctrl-Insert and discovered that it simply kills the current Evernote window. The notification icon is still there, but upon reopening Evernote through that icon, it acts as if it was killed without any warning. The note is reverted to the last sync'ed state (likely leading to a loss of some note data - whatever had most recently been put into the note).

This happens on two similar machines. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, Evernote version 5.0.3.1614 (269614).

Can't replicate. Also running Win 7/64-bit, but Evernote 5.1.0.1869 (269869) Prerelease

Does Ctrl-Insert have a specific purpose? What is that key combination supposed to do? Perhaps that might reveal why mine is crashing.

I should clarify - this only happens while you're in the note editor, where you can type text.

• Level 5*

Can't replicate. Also running Win 7/64-bit, but Evernote 5.1.0.1869 (269869) Prerelease

Does Ctrl-Insert have a specific purpose? What is that key combination supposed to do? Perhaps that might reveal why mine is crashing.

I should clarify - this only happens while you're in the note editor, where you can type text.

I tried it in a number of places in the UI, including the note editor (in the Evernote window and also as a separate window). Tried combinations of different Ctrl keys (left / right) and the two Ins keys I have on my keyboard. No go.

Ctrl+Ins is another shortcut for Copy in Windows. That's what it does in Evernote for me.

Okay, I just realized that ctrl-C does it too. If I have text selected, no problem. If I press ctrl-C with no selected text, Evernote crashes.

Another way to trigger the bug: click on the text. Bar cursor appears and nothing is selected. Go to "Edit", "Copy". I hear a "ding" and Evernote crashes.

• 2 months later...

I'm experiencing the same issue with ctrl-c on Win7 64 bit with version 5.1.2.2387 Public, but it happened on earlier versions as well.  I just try to avoid the sequence, but when I forget it is so frustrating.  It seems as though it gives me a pass the first time I press it, but the second time causes the crash.  Usually I have something highlighted in a second non-evernote window I think is active wehn the vernote acutally is or I don't realize my finger is on c instead of v and hit it twice.  A fix for this would really be nice.

• Level 5*

I'm experiencing the same issue with ctrl-c on Win7 64 bit with version 5.1.2.2387 Public, but it happened on earlier versions as well.  I just try to avoid the sequence, but when I forget it is so frustrating.  It seems as though it gives me a pass the first time I press it, but the second time causes the crash.  Usually I have something highlighted in a second non-evernote window I think is active wehn the vernote acutally is or I don't realize my finger is on c instead of v and hit it twice.  A fix for this would really be nice.

Make sure that you send in the crash logs when the crash happen, if offered the opportunity. You should also open a support request: see the link in my signature.

Interesting. I never use Ctrl+Insert and I tried it in EN 5.1.2.287 and it instantly shut EN. I was in the edit mode of a note. When I opened it back up it came up in a different note. Windows 7 Pro with service pack 1. 

• 2 years later...

Archived